Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas Songs by Sinatra

This is first Sinatra Christmas album. While I kind of know what to expect from this review, I decided........ why not, it's Christmas. I mean, I don't imagine I would have much to say, but I want to get another done for this week and need two more this month. So why not do an easy quick one. If you can see the cover the orchestra was directed by Axel Stordahl. This was originally released as a 78 and a 10'' Lp. There is a novelty I find in old 78 quality recordings.
  1. White Christmas: This has a very warm feeling, though his voice is not as warm. I think the strings and atmosphere is the key. I am not digging Frank's vocals so much. I'd love to hear this instrumental. It's a very Christmas song. I picture those old cartoons from Disney you were shown by your parents and grandparents. I love the horns and how it feels sort of epic. This is a great closer, but it also is a nice intro.
  2. Jingle Bells: This instrumental is nice, and it's a relatively faithful cover. Nothing about it shout original or different.
  3. Silent Night, Holy Night: Another Christmas classic, not as touching as I want it to be, but it still is. The arrangement here isn't an nice as on White Chrismas but this is the type of song that I feel should bring you to tears as Ave Maria in Fantasia does... and while I feel emotions it's nothing that would bring me to tears. Or even without any visuals, Feed The Birds.
  4. Adeste Fidles: Ah O Come All Ye Faithful, and this introduction is starting to feel like the epic I want. While it doesn't reach the level I want, it was promising. I don't think this has the type of power I was hoping for. Like power in terms of epicness and reach instead of guitar metal overdrive. 
  5. O Little Town of Bethlehem: This is probably the best song here so far. Now would I listen to this in the future, probably not, but I do like the horns and strings here. I wish they were through the song though. Although maybe because it was in mono they may not have had a choice.
  6. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear: I do actually like this song, this version if fine, but I like this song.
  7. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas: I don't care for this song alone, so imagine my surprise when I had to sit through two songs I didn't like. Although that violin in the beginning did get my hopes up a bit. 
  8. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town: Even Bruce can't save this song. I think it's kind of stupid in my opinion. Big band couldn't even save this, though Frank is singing this best, and most appealing here.
Overall I have to give this album a 5/10. It's a pretty standard Christmas record. There isn't much more to say than that. It wasn't boring, but it wasn't mind blowing or the emotional journey In The Wee Small Hours is. At the end of the day it's a so so record, so I gave it a 5. I feel this was before he was himself, before he had that personality that made him Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment