Friday, May 10, 2013

Here Come The Warm Jets - Brian Eno

Here's #3. Not my third favorite, but the third album for this reviews thingy. There is something about Brian that mesmerizes me. Maybe that he "invented" Ambient music, or at least the "rules" for it. This thing, when I first heard it, mesmerized me. I think it could be a favorite of mine. Only time will tell, but this thing is great. Now, I mentioned something about this album in my John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band album review. I still want to hear (No Pussyfooting) because I love that word, since no one seems to know what it means (except me). And I use that term a ton, because of reference to the album. I've done so decent research on this "PeeNo" guy, and well he's worked with Fripp and just about everyone else.
  1. Needles In The Camel's Eye: This song starts the album. This thing grabbed my attention. This sounds like a glam song. When I hear it I imagine Davey and Mick singing Starman together. Or at least something along the lines of that. This is a good song, but it is definitely not the best. Which is funny, since this track pulled me into the album. The keys on this are awesome. And the vocals are pretty sick too. The harmonies are tight. Not Abbey Road tight, but tight enough.
  2. The Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch: Brian sings that is like he is eccentric. This is a weird song. This isn't as strange as the next track though. The solo in the song is pretty much a squeak  that if you can't tolerate sounds, it would drive you nuts. The sound reminds me of them oiling up a squeak Duck and then squeaking the fuck out of it.
  3. Baby's On Fire: This song, more so than the last, has weirder vocals. I could see this being an 80's New Wave song. If you listen to this is it actually, pretty much, a stereotypical 80's New Wave song. Supposedly this song talks about starting a baby on fire. That's what I read somewhere. If so, then it's obviously tongue and cheek. That's probably, somewhat, the way MGMT got their influence for their songs Brian Eno. The solo in this song is pretty long. It's not bad, but it might drag a little if you're reviewing it.
  4. Cindy Tells Me: This next song reminds me a little of Grease. I don't know why exactly, but it just kind of does. I could see this being a number that didn't make the cut. You know Danny singing about a girl named Cindy?. I hope that makes sense. Well anyway, this is one of my favorite tracks for the fact that it's so different than the last track. It has a whole different vibe to it. The chorus is pretty sick
  5. Driving Me Backwards: The way that the vocals are on this track reminds me of Pink Floyd. The song in particular I'm thinking of is 1975's Welcome to the Machine. The music to it almost seems like it could be a Pink Floyd song. It's kind of a darker song. I could see someone being afraid if they heard this. The whole piano part reminds me a little of the synths on that Floyd song too
  6. On Some Faraway Beach: The beginning of this song reminds me of Still The Same. You know off Stranger in Town. That's one of my favorite albums, and I hold it close to me. This song is an instrumental (mostly) and the instrumental, towards the middle more, reminds me a fuck load of Low. That's the first of the Berlin Trilogy by David Bowie and Brian Eno helped a lot. The singing on this song even reminds me of Bowie. Kind of like an outer space type of singing. Then, the piano at the end, DAMN!!! It's so sick. It's kind of like the ending of Epic, but not as epic. But it's still really sick.
  7. Blank Frank: This song reminds me a little of Magic Bus, but there are parts in there where is sounds like lasers are about to explode. There is maracas in the background that reminds me of the intro to The Who's 1968 track. And I think I hear a little tape loops, I might be wrong, but I would be surprised since this is Eno. There is also a little hint of like Bowie but if he had Jean Genie with Raw Power distorted guitars.
  8. Dead Finks Don't Talk: The vocals on this track reminds me so much of David in his Glam Era. I could see this being on any album between The Man Who Sold The World to Diamond Dogs. The right around the 3 minute mark actually, more specifically, reminds me of Golden Years. Either that or the whole vibe from Station to Station album. And I love the ugly ending that is an awesome intro flow into the next track. I like the distortion on the guitar in the solo. The fuzz.
  9. Some Of Them Are Old: This song is awesome. This reminds me of The Beach Boys. Like Pet Sounds era. This is a pretty epic song to be in the ending. This also reminds me of Memory Of A Free Festival's organ in the beginning. The harmony vocals is the Beach Boys idea. There is like a fuzzed kazoo sound towards the end. This is a pretty dreamy song.
  10. Here Come The Warm Jets: The first thing I have to say is I do not support what this title is in reference too. I don't really know for sure if you do, but I don't. This is kind of an instrumental continuation of the last track. It's a pretty exciting ending for the album. I think when the drums start to come in it's pretty sick. And vocals start to come in.
Overall I have to give this a 8.6/10. When I was younger I had the idea for a concept album where every song would be a different genre. I realized that would be boring to hear, and too inconsistent. Well, God Only Knows how, but Brian pulls this feat off on this album. I don't think I will ever be able to understand how he was album to do this. You know what, since I'm gonna be 18 in July, why not do a bunch of, or at least more, of my favorite albums too, but instead this is older albums. So nothing from after I was born. That's July 21st 1995. I think that I could use some old time music to help me out, you know. I still have a shit load of stuff I need to hear by Eno, but yeah. Then I'll have to do one month for my favorite album covers. But anyway, the next review is an album that the band has even, basically, disowned the album. It's from the 1960's, and it's the most this band has ever experimented.

No comments:

Post a Comment