Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Rise and Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars - David Bowie

This is, though it came out in June, my review for this album. I figure with The Next Day on the trail only 3 days away why the fuck not review one of my Favorite albums ever. I could go on forever about Bowie and how him, and this album especially, helped influence my taste and songwriting. I wrote out an album, that was scraped, but was heavily Ziggy-era Bowie influenced. Frankly I want to start this review, so here is a quick factual bio. Released June 6th, 1972. First to feature Ziggy persona. Album number 5. Possibly his most famous album.
  1. Five Years: This song starts out with a fade in of drums. Then guitar and Davie and piano comes in. This song is an awesome tone setter for the rest of the album. The chorus on this song, and the entire album, are so damn amazing. The piano in this song is very pretty. And when the strings come in and get louder. This song kind of "fades in" throughout the entire song. As the song progressively gets louder and everything comes in for the chorus.
  2. Soul Love: I like the way this song starts out kind of slower. There is sax in the song. I like that this is different than the last song. It isn't completely repetitive like other albums by some bands. I'll leave that up for your interpretation. I like the way that David sings this one. The sax in this song is kind of "sexy"? I hope that makes sense. I could see someone dancing to this at a wedding. "Sexy" might not be the right word, but I still think that is could be considered "Romantic" sounding. I love the moans in the background. Then I love it how the song goes into more of a Ziggy sound. This song is a pretty cool, sick, smooth second track.
  3. Moonage Daydream: I was reading that this is, story line wise, one of the most important songs. The guitar in this song is sick and the drum fills in between the "Moonage Daydream". UGH! The woodwind solo there is awesome. I think that the strings too. There is also a sick echo in this song. The solo pretty much blows my mind. The way the guitar in the solo is, it reminds me of something Pink Floyd might have done for the song Comfortably Numb or any song post Dark Side.
  4. Starman: This song is more of an eargasm. Now I don't really know if I can tell you how much I love this song. The song is such a build up. This is one epic song. The guitar right after the chorus is awesome. I also think the chorus in the song is so..... YES!. The piano in between the verses and chrous that gives you a little suspense right before the chorus begins.
  5. It Ain't Easy: It kind of bugs me when people cover songs for a concept album. Ah-la Eyesight To The Blind on the 1969 Who classic Tommy. It's a good song, but that's just my view on it. None the less, this is an awesome song. This song, along with the other songs, has such an epic chorus. The harpsichord in the verses and the stringsplosion that shows up in the chorus. Damn! 
  6. Lady Stardust: Now, this is the only spot on the album where, in the beginning, kind of has a little dent. I think that this song is pretty sick, but it's probably my least favorite song. I know this sounds bad, but this is probably my only problem with this album. But, I don't think it would be the same without it. This song is more of a ballad and doesn't have that epicnessness to it. The piano is awesome in the song, but it doesn't really go anywhere.
  7. Star: I don't know why he used the word star so many times in the tracklisting. None the less, this song is a pretty cool song. It isn't a Rock 'N' Roll Suicide but it's an awesome song. I like the instruments and the way they all play. I think the ending of the song is pretty sick, not quite "epic" but sick.
  8. Hang On To Yourself: Here's an upbeat song. By that I mean it's more dance-able than the last two. This is a total song that I imagine Ziggy playing. This song is also super catchy. The bass line in this and the guitar solo that kind go hand and hand. It's sick. The band that David was using for this album is just a gift from God.
  9. Ziggy Stardust: This song, instrumentally, is just so different, for me. I heard this, then was reintroduced to it in Guitar Hero. I think that this isn't quite a "ballad" but it isn't weird. It is just different type of "ballad". The refrains in this song are amazing. The slight "uh" during the refrains are pretty funny, but I think add to the song. The ending of this song is an awesome finish and perfect.
  10. Suffragette City: I could kind of see T. Rex playing this song. They style, not the specific song. This song is a fun song. You can dance to this. The guitars tone in the solo is awesome. I love it so much. The piano in the background is pretty cool to. I love it so much.
  11. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide: I don't know why, but I never really thought about this song being this song. I knew this song and thought it was awesome, but didn't realize it was Rock 'N' Roll Suicide. You know what I mean. This song is so epic. The way it starts out very calm and quiet after the last song, which was a pretty fast "exciting" song. The build in this song is just like, for me, Life On Mars? off 1971's Hunky Dory. The strings, by Mick Ronson?, are so Damn beautiful for both songs. I love the way the bass sounds in the 2012 Remaster. And the strings at the end. I would make love to this song playing in the background. This song is truly "Wonderful". 
Overall I have to give this album a 9.7/10. I love it. This has, not just memories, but an awe to it. I don't know how to explain it enough unless you experience this album. Damn, this 2012 Remaster is better than the dumb 'ole 1999 Version I got off iTunes 4 years ago. Part of what I think makes this album so awesome is every song on the album is epic. From the build ups to the strings to the choruses. I tip my hat to you Bowie in making one damn amazing album. I don't know enough descriptive words to explain how awesome this is. That's part of the reason I don't review Jazz, sorry Miles. If you want to make a decent album or make a decent song visit this album a few times first.

No comments:

Post a Comment