Sunday, March 24, 2013

Please Please Me - The Beatles

This is the debut album by my FAVORITE BAND OF ALL TIME. This is the third album review I'm doing of a Beatles album, I don't know exactly when this is going to be uploaded but I started this review on March 23rd, 2012. I'm pissed because my cunt ass computer wasn't working right and I couldn't use the keyboard to type into it. This was supposed to go up on March 22nd, 2012 which was the 49th anniversary of it being released, but I later said fuck it and am going to now upload it 1 year later so it will celebrate it's 50th anniversary. So it was basically useless to me. Now I have an good one and it works, especially since we got two, in case one breaks. Well aside from the computer thing, this album was risky for me. I used to say I didn't like The Beatles then I saw the movie Across The Universe and that got me interested in them. My cousins burned 1 on the computer and I kinda liked it, except Let It Be. #You have no fucking idea how Ironic that is. But then I used to say, after I bought Abbey Road, I only like their later stuff. So the album that I took a risk, so to say first was Rubber Soul. That album was still kind of experimental. But this was the first early, pre-experimental Beatles album I ever bought. And well.... I got into it. moral of the story is musical experimentation is very important, and if not for The Beatles I probably wouldn't have ever learned that. But you'll see why I love this album so much right....... Now! Well, Now it's a few days after the 50th, so lets dive in!
  1. I Saw Her Standing There: This is the first song on the album. It is a good introduction to this album. It's upbeat and exciting and sets the tone for this album as a whole.
  2. Misery: This song is another awesome song. The way this song starts it's got this feeling that I can't quite put my finger on, but I love it. I could see them playing this in Hamburg. I think the little piano fills in there are awesome. It's so sick that they did that for track two on album one. I don't know why, but this kind of blows my mind. It has kind of a doo-wop vibe
  3. Anna (Go To Him): The first time I heard this I was surprised that I liked it so much. It thought that it was kind of a weird track. I thought it didn't sounds like any other of the hits that I'd heard before. Now I love the track even more than the first time I heard it.
  4. Chains: This is a good song. I don't think that it's amazing, but I don't hate it. I think that this is a slower song. It doesn't really make me wanna get up and dance. Even some of the slower songs on this album I would still dance too.
  5. Boys: Ringo sings this one. This is a pretty exciting track to pick up where Chains was slower. I think that this is a doo-wop song. I think it's a fun song that you can dance to. Its like a good Sha Na Na. The solo in this song is sick. I really don't know how other to describe it than it's perfect of the song.
  6. Ask Me Why: This is a jazzy kind of song. I could see this being played at a school dance in the 60's. I really like this song. This has one of the coolest refrains/chorus on the album. It love it.
  7. Please Please Me: This is probably my favorite track on the album. I love the hell out of it. The vocals at all the parts of this song are awesome. There isn't really any part of this song that I think it's good. Sometimes really good songs have parts at aren't as good, well I don't think this track does. From the solid playing, and the bass line, and guitar vocals. Paul is one sick ass bassist. {10/10}
  8. Love Me Do: You can't go wrong with this song. The simple beat and lyrics. This song is a good example of, well, sometimes simple is better. So hats off to Ziggy. I love Paul's vocals in the song and his bass line. And I love the harmony's. This song is just, in a single word, yes {10/10}
  9. P.S. I Love You: I really like this song. I don't like at as much as the last two tracks, but I still do like it. I think it's a little more sad than the last track, which was upbeat. This was the b-side of the Love Me Do single in the UK in '62. There is like a Spanish feeling to this song. Which is FUCKING AWESOME! Even back then  they didn't just do blues *cough* The Rolling Stones *cough*.
  10. Baby It's You: This is probably one of the weaker points on the album. I do think this is a good song, but I don't think it's anything special.
  11. Do You Want To Know A Secret: This song is a pretty cool song. The beginning of this song sounds like it's something exciting coming up. Thought it stays at a slow pace this is still a kick ass song. I like the way George sings this one. I also really like the bass line and the drums.
  12. A Taste Of Honey: This song is almost seductive with the way that it is. It feels kind of like tango. I could see someone dancing to this song. I could probably see myself making love to this song, while it's playing. I love the chorus and the arpeggios. The distortion of the guitar is awesome to. I also think it's sick the way that they did the double track on Paul's vocals in the :"middle eight".
  13. There's A Place: I love this song, wow, I say that a lot. No, but seriously, this is an awesome song. I like the way the harmonica. The refrains in this song, and along with a part of this album, are just amazing. I'm a sucker for an AMAZING refrain/chrous/pre-chrous and lots of songs on this album have those. "Do you know that it's so". Some examples, off other albums, are Another Girl, No Reply, Think For Yourself, She's A Woman, Michelle, I'll Be Back, I'm So Tired among others.
  14. Twist and Shout: This is one of the very, I mean very, few. Like out of The Beatles 200+ songs in their main discography, there is probably 5 songs I'm not huge on. This is one of them. I have just gotten sick of this song. It was ok at first, but Ferris kinda ruined the song for me. Now it doesn't really have that same UMPH! it used to have.
Overall I have to give that album an 8/10. This album was an important part in my musical journey, that still goes on today. As funny as it is, listening to this album today, it only helps remind me how AMAZING The Beatles actually are. I can't believe that these guys have done as big of a number as they have to me. In the best way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment