Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

This is one year shy of 40 years old. This is one of my favorite albums and one of the most important albums I've ever heard in my life. I love this album because of how it has "progressively" helped, after listening to it and putting it away for a while and now coming back to it, realize how amazing it still is. This concept of this album or the overall theme has so heavily influenced my desire to make concept albums (along with some examples which include Tommy, The Wall, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and even as current as Lou Reed & Metallica album titled Lulu). Now I can go on forever on how this is a an awesome album, but I need to review this be-och before I ruin my schedule of an album a day for March, and maybe April.
  1. Speak To Me: I love that this songs starts to continuity of the heartbeat that is pretty much heard through out the whole entire album. And how can you not agree that the ending is pretty funny. Ah ah ah ah. This song and Breathe In The Air are completed with you listen to them together as ''one song''.
  2. Breathe In The Air: The flow of Speak To Me/Breathe In The Air is awesome. This song is very mellow and is a good example of a classic. The way this song is reminds me of taking deep breaths. I could imagine hearing the sound of someone talking deep breaths. 
  3. On The Run: This song is a good example of how the album drives and flows. The first time I heard this it was out of order. After hearing it in context it was so much better. With the intercom sounding voice and the guy running and the atmosphere, you feel like your running. The drum beat and the constant synthesizers make it sound sick. It also gives it this star wars outer space sci-fi feeling to the guy running.
  4. Time: I love the fact that they got all those clocks to sound in the beginning of the track. This song almost has an African feel to it with the bongos but also a kind of James Bond thing with the bass, until the vocals come in. The vocals take this song to a new level with the accompaniment of the guitar, bass, drums, and keys. The solo is so cool sounding, it sounds like it was double tracked but very closely, or they used reverb or something. This song wouldn't be as great as it is if it weren't for the keys in the song. That is the driving force of the song, along with the drums. The keys add the sound of funky reggae feel to the song. The song slows down, which I don't really like that part, but the best part is the driven energy from the drums and keys. The more I listen to the album, the better each song gets. I love the entire thing. And God Damn David's voice.
  5. Great Gig In The Sky: The woman who does vocals on this track kills it. I love doing a really bad falsetto, cuz I can't sing, along with her. I love this track so much. The music and the feelings that you get from this are amazing. I can't explain how fun of a song this is to listen to unless you've already watched it. The piano in the beginning makes my ears perk up to know that it is this song. The piano in this song is beautiful. When the girl comes in with her screams, right after the instrumentation for most of the song come in. Amazing. This song slows down and goes back to the beginning  but with her gospel vocals singing over it. 
  6. Money: Supposedly the money track in the beginning of the song was the same "sample" used in The Beatles legendary Yellow Submarine. I'm not sure if that is true, but if so that's awesome. Now to the song. I love the bass riff in this song. The bass is what grabs your attention, and Roger's vocals on this are also great. The saxophone solo on this song is complemented with all the other instruments in the song. I think the sax solo is a good build up or prep for the guitar solo. The guitar solo sounds like it was double tracked. This song is just so great there is little I can say. And you can probably review this song yourself. Your Know? Oh one last things, I think that the voices at the fade are pretty funny if you actually listen to them. This song, I love how the tempo changed and it just UGH! An amazing song that was a hit. I can't say that all hits are amazing, but this song is.
  7. Us And Them: This song picks up right after Money. This songs synths in the beginning are something that I was reminded of when I was listening to 7 Skies H3 by The Flaming Lips. You know, the 24 hour song, well I only made it through 12... but I am determined to finish the songs from 0:00:00-23:56:53. I think that is is a pretty chill track. It has a very laid back feel to it. The background instruments can almost be looped. Now when the choir sounding chorus comes in... it can almost make you cry. It is very pretty sounding and they did a good job at making it emotional. The guitar and the instrumentation in this sound like I could listen to this looped for a good long while. The piano solo in the song adds to this chill/lounge/gospel/jazz sounding vibe I get from the song. I don't LOVE it but I think its defiantly a {9/10)
  8. Any Colour You Like: The synths in the beginning of the are cool. The thing is that I really can't say much of this except that it's a filler? I think that it is just there as a kind of filler or a solo to the last song to lead up to Brain Damage. The flow at the end who the song picks up perfectly is just great. 
  9. Brain Damage: Even though I've heard this song 1 million times on the radio there is some reason I still like it. Whether it be because of how weird the lyrics are, or the music, it drags me in. The flow from this song to Eclipse and having these two tracks as the last two is nothing short of genius. The vibe that I get from this song is just one that is completed when you hear Eclipse. The lyrics to this give it this eerie feel to it, add the little guitar in the background, and you have a scary song. I don't think it's scary but I think is good. The chorus is kind of a preview to what is to come in Eclipse. Speak To Me/Breathe In The Air and Brain Damage/Eclipse are pretty much two different song and makes this song. Like the whole perfect feel to the song is there when you hear Brain Damage/Eclipse together. The same is true of Speak To Me/Breathe In The Air
  10. Eclipse: This song is probably part of the reason that this is one of my favorite albums ever. I love how this album just ends on the highest note and the most powerful track on the album. This song proves that the album just continually builds progressively gets more power until now. This is my favorite Pink Floyd song just because of the energy you get from this. I mean the flow of the keys and the instruments. And the vocals are so simple and yet they are delivered into making them very strong and emotionally appealing. And to wrap up the album we heard that heartbeat one last time. Just the production on this song pumps me up. It probably does that to anyone. The way this album ends makes you want to buy the next album by Pink Floyd. {11/10)
Over all I give this album a 10/10. I don't think that any album could ever be like this one, or even come close to sounding like this one. Pink Floyd did have a certain style but certain  sounds were preserved on this album. This was also one of the greatest albums of all time, and I agree with Rolling Stone Magazine... for once. This album is awesome, if you haven't heard it go and listen to it on YouTube, I don't really care how you do just find someway to listen to the album. This is defiantly on albums to hear before you die. This bitch's reverb helps give it that outer space vibe. This is truly a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment