Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Christmas with McGriff

This was actually originally the other release I planned on doing this Christmas. There are some covers and some originals here. At one point I planned to only do albums with originals, but I figured the chances of finding Christmas albums of all  originals is next to..... It's unrealistic. I just was lucky to stumble into that James Brown record. So I went with this, look at that cover.... I know I'd buy that in 1964.
  1. White Christmas: This was the opening track to the last album I reviewed...... What a coincidence. Well, to be completely honest I doubt you can hear this on just about every Christmas track. To be completely honest, I kind of like this organ, sax, guitar drums and bass. It doesn't specify if it's a Quintet but I like the set up. This has promise, and it probably my favorite version of this song I've heard.
  2. Christmas With McGriff: This is an original, and I think it sounds pretty good. I mean not to the point that I'd revisit it not around Christmas, but still. I think it's a pretty decent track. I think the star is the organ, but that's probably almost always may answer. I do have a very soft spot for theses Hammond organs (?, I assume it's one). This track isn't anything that blows me away, but it's a nice change of pace from the last review.
  3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus: A song I normally dislike, here turned into a song that I think isn't terrible. I mean it doesn't have that cutesy feeling that irritates me. But on the other hand, I don't like the organs sound on this so much. I wish it was played on maybe guitar. And this is basically just a vamp with the organ playing the lead melody. While I probably shouldn't expect people to not do that, I wish it wasn't just that you know. Though I think it might drag on a bit to long. But lots of songs here may over stay their welcome.
  4. Hip Santa: This feels pretty fun, I mean it's not amazing, but it feels fun to hear them play. I feel like this was fun while they were recording it. I do enjoy the drumming here, but really I kind of forgot what was happening after spacing out for a second.
  5. Winter Wonderland: Of all the songs here this might be the least interesting. I'm sorry to say, but at this point I really can't say that the album is that interesting. I mean it'd be a much better EP. This kind of feels like it's the old "rich people play jazz as background music" stereotype.
  6. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town: This is two of three songs that also appeared on Christmas Songs by Sinatra, my previous review. Not this version, but song. This is very faithful to the sound of the rest of the album in it's rendition of this Christmas Classic.
  7. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer: Another song I don't care for, turned into another version that is just another track on this album. I can't really report anything of note.
  8. Jingle Bells: This is the last song to be featured on the Sinatra album I just did. Lets see if this version of the song is better than Ole Blue Eye's take. To be honest, I like the swing of this track. I mean it isn't perfect or anything, but much more fun than a standard vocal jazz verison, or really any other version I've heard.
Overall I have to give this album a 5/10. Don't worry I still got at least one more review for this month. Hopefully it'll have Auld Lang Syne or Ave Maria. Either that or be if all original songs. But this is exactly what you'd expect from a jazz organ player. I like this record, but I can't really say anything more that just like. You have no idea how bad I want to review Blowfly's Christmas Party (the single). I could do his Christmas record, but I don't really care much for it..... Maybe next year. Here's a little Christmas gift to you, since I need a lot more time to review these albums I'll just mention some Jazz records to listen to New Grass by Albert AylersPakistani Pomade by Alexander von Schlippenbach Trio, Pre-Bird by Charles Mingus, Out to Lunch by Eric Dolphy, Sextant by Herbie Hancock and one more review to do this year, unless I change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment