Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Station to Station - David Bowie

FINALLY, HERES A NEW REVIEW. This is the 10th studio album by one of my favorites, David Bowie. This is the album where he was at the height of his cocaine addiction. This is the album before the legendary Bowie/Eno Berlin Trilogy. This album was produced by Bowie and Harry Maslin. I have noticed an almost universal love for this album I like the album too, but not as much as everyone else does. It has grown on me 
  1. Station to Station: This song is one of my favorite Bowie songs and one of, in my opinion, the best songs ever made. This is, in theory, kind of like Bowie's own Stairway. But this song kicks the crap out of Stairway in everything, except a complex guitar solo. At the end of the day though, you don't need to have a Jimmy Page solo to be a good solo. Look at Coffee & TV by blur. That solo fits the song, and this solo fits this song. This song is kind of a build up. It starts with a 1 or 2 minute intro of what sounds like trains chugging. I love the way the piano sounds when it kind of breaks the train off. Then after that it goes into a guitar riff that replicates, more or less, the rhythm of the train in the beginning. Then when the vocals come in this guitar arpeggios? is playing "The return of the Thin White Duke, Throwing darts in lovers eyes". I love that line of the song. The lyrics of this song are just so sick. This is one of the fastest 10 minutes of my life. The cream of the crop comes thought at about 5:15ish when there is a drum interlude for about a second or so and then "Once there were mountains". I love that part. I can't tell you how much I love it. It's a completely different song after that point. It's almost like they were written as two different songs squashed together, but it worked perfect. Kind of like Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. The former ended in the same key as the latter started in, so he put them together. "The European Cannon is here". Damn, this is an amazing song! I just love the lyrics; but one of my favorites, and stand out for me, is "Have you sought fortune evasive and shy". I could take that more than one way. But my way of interpreting that specific line is, have you gone after fame evasive and trying to hide and sneak around people. This is nothing short of epic. I think they double tracked his vocals, but one is higher pitched. So rather than reverb it's like two different people singing. I love they way that people do this trick. And David was able to sing different enough to make it sound right. The guitar riff is kind if like a horse Gallup, at the "Have you sought fortune and fame". The bass is pretty sick to play too. I can play this song, I love jamming and playing along with it. I could go on forever about this song, but I should probably stop. {100/10}
  2. Golden Years: This is a good song. Not great, but it's a quality song. This is just an odd song. It has a weird feeling to it. I know it's kind of like a song that is like a ballad, but it's just somewhat weird. Maybe it's weird chords, but I love the idea of this song. Like, a ballad with "indian chords". I know they didn't use "indian chords", but the idea of making a pretty song with odd sounds. I looked it up, it's F# to E. that's awesome. {8.1/10}
  3. Word On A Wing: This is a pretty romantic song. Kind of like some of the romantic songs on Young Americans. I actually could almost see this song being on that album. According to he VH1 Storytellers he said this was written as kind of a way to cope with the darkest time of his life. There is also a theme of religion in this song he touches upon. This is a pretty touching song. You can kind of tell there is some emotions that go into this song. I didn't like it much at first, but with more listens its become a song I love to hear. This is a song I would check out if you haven't heard it before. I also like the choir thing at the ending. {9.2/10}
  4. TVC 15: This is supposedly inspired when David Bowie saw Iggy Pop's wife get eaten by a TV. I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but this song is a decent song. I don't really know much about what to say. I could see, in an odd way, this being a song you can dance too. I like the "dance hall?" flavor in the beginning. I think that's the right word. The chorus part I'd just sick. It feels pretty epic and big. I also like the sax there. It's harder to hear, but if you listen you can hear it. 
  5. Stay: This is another song that is a little different. Not what I expected. I do like the chorus. This is a song that reminds me of Young Americans. This is a pretty damn good song. I like the way he sings in the chorus. I also like the solo. It's more of like a guitar fill. It's not overly complex. It somewhat reminds me of, at parts, of Georgie's playing. That's probably my favorite part. 
  6. Wild Is The Wind: Though I love the dozen or so Nina Simone songs I've heard, especially Save Me, I think David does it better. This is a pretty romantic song. I like that this is the ending. It fits the album perfect. It's like the book closer. This feels like a song where you'd take the woman under your sheets and just make sweet love to her. I like the acoustic guitar a lot also. Excluding YA album this is probably the most romantic he gets. I also kind of laugh at the way some of the words sound funny. Then I remember Nina's songs. I love where it starts to pick up. The sound of acoustic guitar on this song is my favorite sound. Like the "distortion?". That's not the right word, but I hope you get the point ;)
Overall I have  to give this album a 8.5/10. All the songs on this album are quality songs. No single song on this album isn't good, but they aren't like the songs on Ziggy or Space Oddity or even Diamond Dogs. The album though, I think, isn't mind blowing. As time has gone on, and this album has sat with me, I like it more and more. But you know, I know this is an important period in his career, but that doesn't make a good album. Also, I'ven't heard all of Low or Lodger yet, so I can't judge them yet. All these songs are fun to sing alone with, and the lyrics aren't that hard to remember. If you think about it Space Oddity had its parts where it was psychedelic and it's parts where it would fit on a glam album. This album is kind of like that. 

Addition 7/28/13: This album, with more listens is a damn great album. That's why I'll award it a 9/10. And it is one of my favorite Bowie albums, and is definatly the slickest album I've ever heard. I wouldn't be surprised if that 9 turns to a 10 by the end of the year. Damn! David also said something, which I could never really think of how to say it or what it was, but said this is a "dark album". Look at this Richard Corey was everyone's idol and they loved him. But he obviously was troubled and had some darkness there. Lots of times everyone's heroes have more troubles than we think. Comedians usually have some type of problem, not all, but lots historically have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment