Wednesday, October 23, 2013

The Spotlight Kid - Captain Beefheart

This is the, in his lifetime, only album credited to a sole Captain Beefheart. This followed the more mature Trout Mask the 1970 album Lick My Decals Off, Baby. (Note in 1971 Mirror Man was released, but that's hardly an album, it's of outtakes from the 60's). This is a HUGE change of pace from Lick My Decals. By a more mature Trout Mask Replica I meant it's even odder and more developed. It's Aladdin Sane is to Ziggy as Decals is to Trout.
  1. I'm Gonna Booglarize You Baby: The way this song is it reminds me, vaguely, of Ice Cream For Crow. I do like the growl vocal thing he's doing. That also reminds me of Boris The Spider. This is a slick song. It's pretty easy to listen to compared to Trout, as called by the BBC1 Doc I saw, or Lick My Decals. He does do a Beafheartian vocal, but only vaguely. If the entire albums like this, it won't be that terrible.
  2. White Jam: This reminds me of Blue Jeans & Moonbeams. This is a, kind of, pretty song. At least in the beginning. This song has, in his voice in the beginning, some muffin remnants of She's Too Much For My Mirror. You can use your white jam all you want. As long as its not Raspberry Jam, because Lone Star already has that taken Don
  3. Blabber 'n Smoke: This is actually a great track. I really was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I like this songs title. This song has a drive to it. I also like the way he sings this song. I think the xylophone sounding instrument is cool. I saw the Family Guy the other day where Louis models. The part when she "plays" her ribs cuz she's so skinny. It's at the end of the episode. Regardless, that reminded me of that. But I also like how it's kind of weird.
  4. When It Blows Its Stacks: You can always expect bizarre, I did that on purpose, song titles on Beefheart albums. I love that though. This track isn't as good as the two it's between, but that's ok. This song is solid. I like the crunch of the guitar in this song. 
  5. Alice in Blunderland: I like the title to this track. I think it's pretty cool. This is an instrumental, featuring that xylophone I was mentioning before. But get this, there's a Zappa-esque guitar solo in this track. It's really cool hearing this. Damn!, and this goes by too fast. This could be part two of the previous track. The melody could actually be a Zappa melody. This could be one of his songs from the Zappa / Mothers period, from '73-'75. This is a great song. It's cooler though as a follow up from the last track. 
  6. The Spotlight Kid: The title track to this LP comes in the middle. Though this album is technically slower and simpler, that doesn't mean there isn't anything happening. Like on this track, it's odd. This seems like he found that xylophone and tries to use it as much as possible. (I've done that before). Also I  do like how the instruments do play the same notes. It sounds sick. 
  7. Click Clack: This song has a harmonica and is fast. It's kind of upbeat and exciting. But at the same time it's kind of overwhelming. That's whats great about him. Lots of his songs make you feel confused. I like the train vibe to it and also the megaphone thing he did. 
  8. Grow Fins: A great box-set of outtakes and live recordings Beefheart songs is named after this track. I like this track too. The lyrics in this song are ok. I think that this is a good track too. I don't really know how to describe it different from any of the other tracks. This song has a type of like island thing I'm imagining. Kind of, but that's just me.
  9. There Ain't No Santa Claus on the Evenin' Stage: As the title suggests there are sleigh bells in the song. This is an odd track. I could see this being on Shiny Beast. Though this is easy to listen to, it has that weird guitar slide thing Don loves. I like the "ho ho ho's" in the song. It's kind of funny. And it's not too long. It's a pretty quick track too. 
  10. Glider: This closes the album. I'm glad I'm finally getting this up. This track kind of drags for me, but that probably because its almost over. 
Overall I have to give this album a 7/10. For a more commercial direction this ain't that bad. This is "slower" (in terms of tempo) and "simpler" (in terms of performance) but still good. I'd suggest this to people who aren't, and probably never will be, into avant-garde. Blame the sound on his wife, she contributed in writing (she's credited at least). The album gets better as it progresses. Art Tripp and Elliot Ingber both play on this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment