Thursday, February 12, 2015

Beneath California - Retox

This is the junior full length album by California's punk band RETOX. Now I've known about these guys since the announcement of the release of Ugly Animals Ep on Ipecac Records, back in 2011. I haven't yet heard all of YPLL which was their sophomore album released in 2013. Something I wanna try and do is do at least an album a month, for which it was released that month. Now I have a fair idea of what to expect on this album.
  1. Die In Your Own Cathedral: The way this song starts out the album shows that if the songs are anything similar to this track it's a a lot of the same.
  2. We Know Who's The Prick: This sticks to the angry punk noise sound that if you know them, you'll know.
  3. The Savior, The Swear Word: I like the way the riff in the song kind of reminds me a little of a Mastadon song. I can't quite think of it but I'm gonna go with my gut and say Iron Tusk or Blood & Thunder.
  4. Let's Not Keep In Touch: I like how this song kind of has a different rhythm to it than the last tracks.
  5. Disappointing Grade: This is a song that I like, and I actually understand what he's saying.
  6. The Inevitable End: This track doesn't really do much for me.
  7. This Should Hurt A Little Bit: This is another track that doesn't do much for me.
  8. Death Will Change Your Life: For whatever reason this track reminds me of the Dead Kennedys. At least the intro does a little of like Holiday In Cambodia. This track has enough variation within for me to dig it. I think it's the best track here, but you know... that's me.
  9. Without Money, We'd All Be Rich: ...........
  10. You're Only A Crook If You Get Caught: ............ While I was listing to this track I played my bass and honestly think I thought of a more interesting bass riff to play to this track, but who know. I like the tone of the bass on there though.
  11. Wooden Nickels: This intro vaguely reminds me of the Sex Pistols' track Pretty Vacant.
  12. Strong Wrong Opinion: I love the change of pace, this is a noise piece that I didn't expect.... well that is until that part ended. While I'm digging the track.... why not give me that noise piece. Or at least started and ended with it, or the continuation of it.
Overall I have to give this album a 5.5/10. It's only 22 minutes long, and to be honest the only real difference here is the lengths in tracks, but the tracks on their last album were longer too. I did end up liking this and song of the tracks here, but as a whole there were more parts that I just felt neutral on.I think I'll just stick to their Ep and Ugly Animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment