Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Weird World Of Blow Fly

This is the debut album by original dirty rapper Blow Fly, possibly better known by the decent few in the world as Clarence Reed. Now his whole discography, prior to about 1984-ish is weird. By that some sites say that Butterfly came out in 1973, which was when it's phonographic copyright is dated, but some say it's from 1976. Even odder his official site says it's from 1981, which production wise and everything else wise I don't believe for a second. This album has been said to be from 1971, butg his site says 1973. I already mentioned this on the On T.V. review, but a debut does one of two things. It either establishes you, and gives you footing on the ground. The first is you'll always have to live up to the album, 36 Chambers, the second is you will always be improving until you reach you're sound, Iron Maiden and Killers. Now this review is going to be done during the Super Bowl, I don't care for sports and don't care who knows it. So with that said I decided to do this because I've been listening to this album a ton lately. I didn't finish it during, but I did most of it during.
  1. Intro: This track is also known as Weird World. This opens with a groove and the groove is played at the end of each track while he announces the next track upcoming. There is a line he usese "guys and girls" that he used in Rap Dirty.
  2. My Baby Keeps Farting In My Face: This is a spoof of the B.J. Thomas classic Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head. This is actually a funny song that, well think about it. The lyrics kind of give what the songs about.
  3. Hold On It's Running: This is a spoof of Hold On! I'm a Coming by Sam & Dave. This makes me laugh because he's sings about his penis. I mean it isn't that amazing of a concept but it makes me laugh.
  4. Hole Man: This is a spoof of Soul Man by Sam & Dave from 1967. I think that this is the original also. I prefer this to the original. This is a classic that would appear on re-recordings and other times in his discography.
  5. The Eating Song (Yum-Yum): This is one of two Otis spoofs. This is a spoof of The Happy Song (Dum-Dum) from 1968. This is another song that I enjoy the original, but Blow's version is the best. And honestly, the eating he's talking about... well I can "dig it".
  6. Shitting On The Dock Of The Bay: This is a spoof of (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay by Otis Reeding. This, according to Henry Stone was the song that Blowfly played for him and he told him to record it and come up with other track. And you know, I love this track. He took one of the most introspective songs (while I'm listening to it I always do that) and most heartfelt tracks I can think of and turned into into a track about turds floating away.
  7. To-To-To-To-To (The Fart Song): This is a spoof of Um, Um, Um, Um, Um by Major Lance from 1963. This is a funner version of the song. And you know, it perfectly compliments it's previous track. At the end of this track he talks about the players on the album, except he uses other names.
  8. I Don't Want No Woman To Give Me Nothing: This is a spoof of I Don't Want Nobody To Give Me Nothing by the Godfather of soul James Brown from 1969. This is a song about "getting it" yourself. And this track closes side 1.
  9. The Eater: This opens the second side, and starts the "second show". This is a spoof of The Cheater by Bob Kuban and the In-Men from 1966. But the track opens with a reprise of Weird World theme song.
  10. Spermy Night In Georgia: This is a spoof of Rainy Night In Georgia by Brook Benton. This was originally by Tony Joe White though. I think this idea is kinda hilarious.
  11. Odd Balls: This is the only original track I think that's on this album. On the CD reissue he even says so before the track this is an original. For the sole original this is probably one of the best albums here. Even if you look past the lyrics this is a pretty solid track, and the way he sings I like a lot. The best part is the "prechorus" part towards the intro. And then is followed by that oh so great intro theme.
  12. Baby Let Me Do It To You: This is a spoof of a track of the same name by Tyrone Davis from 1967. This song is okay, if there are any tracks I can say I've not huge on it's maybe this one.
  13. It's A Faggot's World: This is a spoof of It's A Man's Man's Man's World by James Brown from 1966. Progressively I've learned to love the original, I finally get why it's so good. Thought I prefer the 1970 Oliver Nelson arranged version from Soul On Top I still love the song. That opening line just makes me laugh, especially since there is laughter in the background. This song isn't limited to "faggots" thought, it also talks about "bulldaggers".
  14. A Child's Dick: This is a spoof of With A Child's Heart by Stevie Wonder and written by Ray Charles (I believe).Even thought the title, at least now a days, brings to mind pedophilia... this is about a guy with a small penis. It's funny because if this inded did come out in 1973 MJ did a version that year of the original song. It's kinda like a prediction of Michael's future controversies... Just saying.
  15. The Sperm Is Gone: This is a spoof of The Thrill Is Gone by B.B. King from 1969. This was originally by Roy Hawkins from 1951 though. Go Little Beaver Go! This happens to be, right next to Lucille, my favorite BB track. So this cover makes me laugh when I hear it.
  16. Outro: On the behalf of Cunt Man, Pussy Willar, Dickhead and Blowfly himself they wish to see you again...
Overall I have to give this album a 7.5/10. I noted in the Blowfly's Butterfly review that I didn't like that repeating theme throughout so much, but it's grown on me. I mean, in reality there isn't a bad track here. Some of his albums have tracks that aren't good. There isn't one track here that I think is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment