Monday, July 11, 2016

In The Wee Small Hours - Frank Sinatra

 A lot has changed in the five short years since I started this blog. A lot in terms of everything. Hell a lot has change in the last fucking year, but I feel like this is the prefect time to review this. Me and my girlfriend recently broke up, and while it wasn't that long of a relationship I felt something I'd never felt before. And yes, I was up a lot of last night thinking about her, so naturally this is the album I should use to cope. I don't think any album could be more perfect to fit, or review, my real life situation and mindset. So this is the ninth studio album by one Frank Sinatra. It was produced by Voyle Gilmore and arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle. The album itself was released in April 1955, and was recorded February 8th to March 4th the same year (with the exception of 1 track from March 1st, 1954). This whole concept fascinates me, is that the themes include lost love, loneliness, night-life, and what not. When I think of night I think of going out, getting fresh air, and thinking. In fact there were many a night, I would go out and just breathe the air after everyone is asleep. This album cover, and themes on the lp, almost fit my imagination to a T of the feeling of it. I already reviewed The Voice Of from 1946, his debut, and now as mentioned earlier with a more mature view on life why not pick arguably his most mature album. I should note I also did his Christmas album a few months ago.
  1. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning: By far the best song ever written for Frank. Hell it is one of the best songs ever written period; and damn, what a tone setter. This song reminds me of the closer to The White Album. That track is called Good Night. It's track 30 and has Ringo as it's singer. And for the record Frank kills this song, in the compliment way. I mean this is probably the theme song for anyone who ponders and stays up late to just think and observe... Alone. 
  2. Mood Indigo: This is a Duke cover originally on his Masterpieces album from 1954. Not my favorite but consistently good overall. This song is has a nice jazzy feeling to it, which should kinda of be given since it's a Ellington tune. But it's funny, maybe because of where I am, but I really like this song significantly more than I did.
  3. Glad to Be Unhappy: This is a Rodger-Hartz piece. This is very pretty, and I really like the little touches here and there of guitar and piano and maybe xylophone or chimes. They work together very well and oddly enough this track makes me smile. Maybe it's because
  4. I Get Along Without You Very Well: I really like the strings on this track, and the lyrics on this. I am not as in love with maybe the performance of the vocals, but I still like this song. I wish maybe someone with a bit of a larger range should have sang this, but I still get the point of the song and feel what it's to feel.
  5. Deep In A Dream: This also is another track that I can picture someone just walking down a street in an old movies talking about the lost of someone. I like the swells and it isn't as grand as I'd like, but I still like this thing. The instrumentation really feels. I bring forward a bit of a tear.
  6. I See Your Face Before Me: This song, while having someone what predictable rhyme scheme, it doesn't bother me. The arrangement is pretty solid and it's lyrics also have a nice touch to them I guess.
  7. Can't We Be Friends?: This song stings. I really like the introduction before the song starts, and then when It actually starts I like the delicate feeling Nelson Riddle did here. I actually wanted to listen to over version of this song because I saw potential in the track for being amazing. Kay Swift and Paul James did a really good job, but the songs best part is it's lyrics.
  8. When Your Lover Has Gone: At this point the feeling sort of feels like it's been felt, that's not bad though. I like the swells and almost wish this could end the album. It's a satisfying song none the less and really fits about right after the last track. The fucking swells goddamn Nelson.
  9. What Is This Thing Called Love?: The intro to this track reminds me of Carless Whispers. The only thing is that this is much better. The woodwinds on this track are very audible and make this track extremely unique here. While all the songs are good this track is great. I also love how later on the strings play the, for lack of better word, "motif" or the "theme" of the song. If I could be half the lyricist that Porter was, I'd be pretty happy.
  10. Last Night When We Were Young: This song is pretty sonically similar to the rest of the record and I can't really say stands out to much. I love the orchestra hit towards the ending of the song.
  11. I'll Be Around: I can't really pick the music out as being anything too different, other than maybe not having strings and having a prominent drums beat. I feel like this might be better without lyrics.
  12. Ill Wind: I like the introduction to this and it kinds picks up the pace of the last two songs. I mean they weren't bad but they weren't mind blowing.This feels far engaging than the last few tracks.
  13. It Never Entered My Mind: This, and the following tracks, feature a reappearance of Rodger-Hartz. The song it's self is fine, it just yeah starts to tread similar water as other songs.
  14. Dancing on the Ceiling: This isn't Lionel's song. I really like the guitar in this track A guy named George Van Eps plays a 7-Strings Guitar here and damn it's beautiful. This is also more emotive of Frank than some others. Though again, maybe cut song tracks.
  15. I'll Never Be the Same: I like the flutes on this track and like the feeling, but wish they would have saved this for ending you know. Change the pace then return to form. After a break up you never are the same again. Honestly though, this would have been a fitting final benediction.
  16. This Love of Mine: Frank is credited as the lyricist on this track. And there is something about this that made me cry, so I guess this is a fine ending. But I still wish this and the last were switched. Because then it's like he came full circle over the night rather than still wondering.
Overall I have to give this classic a 7.8/10. The lyrics on this are great, and I can't describe how poignant a listen this is at night time, when you're in the mood to think about all you're choices or you have just pondered your relationships in life. I mean there the first few listens I really couldn't pick out any tracks that were mind blowers, with the exception of maybe number one. This album has turned into one of my favorite records ever, thought there is parts that could have been cut. The only problem is that it is kinda long. I could also nit pick and say that it's made up of tracks already written, and only one features writing from Frank. But the thing is, if I did that I'd be missing the point of the album and the point is to me at least to ponder and helps me ponder. And it's the perfect album, for where I am right now. Next up Low.

No comments:

Post a Comment