Saturday, September 12, 2015

Help! - The Beatles

This is late, like it should have been up last month, but whatever it's up now. Something I wish i would have done is review these in honor of their 50th. All The Beatles albums, why? Their my favorite and most influential artist on my taste and writing. The worst part is I did their debut as a 50th so its not like I started doing reviews and it was already the 50th for Revolver. I was doing the prior to the first album. So whatever,  this is the sixth studio UK studio, and second soundtrack, album by The Beatles. Well it coincided with the movie of the same name, only the first side of the album songs featured in the movie. In the US version, it was a straight up soundtrack. It featured the movie songs, and also the instrumental tracks from the movie. I've also researched the movie for the hell of it to remind myself how they work into the story. I have it on DVD so that was no problem.
  1. Help!: A classic theme song that sticks in your head very easily. I may not love this track, but I like it. If was originally supposed to be slower and more depressing, but they made him change it to upbeat. I wish the early version would have made it to the Anthology. That has more of a blatant, "help me I'm depressed and not getting better" (which is what its meant to be). This is more of a lighthearted" help I'm a damsel in distress and will ultimately be saved, this is an episode of a sixties show with  shenanigans". But regardless of the end products "meaning", I  love the descending guitar line. Also how it then arpeggiates.... *Fancy Person Rating Restruant Kiss Finger Thingy* Ah. This song has a really solid arrangement. I don't know if Martin was responsible, but the shifts, and the little spirts of change make this a classic.
  2. The Night Before: One of my personal favorites is this track. I love this thing. Paul sings this, and wrote it, but I love how catchy it is. I also think its better and stronger than the prior track. There isn't a single second of this that isn't a 10. I love the harmonies that both back up and call and response to Paul, the hammond organ (actually a Hohner Pianet), the bass line, the double tracked lead vocal. Then drum heavy refrain and the guitar tone that is one to aspire to in that solo. This is how you make a frickin flawless rocker. I can't not listen to this without singing along. It's seriously impossible.
  3. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away: This is a decent song. I mean it isn't of the quality the last two were, but it isn't of the quality the next one is either. This is actually, thought I never realized it, a perfect track to fit this spot. Now I don't think it's as good as the two before it, but it's at lest a 7 or 8. But it's slower, it doesn't keep chugging away at the quick rockers that the first two were. This also uses the flute to a masterful effect. 
  4. I Need You: This has a weird minor feeling to it. I feel like I should look up these chords. Now I want to note this is one of the first times Georgie wrote a song. The first is one of my favorites Don't Bother Me, frickin' instant classic no matter what he though of it in later years. This, this is more in that lane of... I kinda feel like this should be the song that was his first time writing a song on an album. I mean in the movie it works for it's scene, but on the album I kinda think it doesn't. I like the strum pattern, the kind of spanish (?) one. I think the thing that really bothers me, or hurts the song, is the fade in fade out guitar lead. This doesn't really seem like the type of song that this would work for. Maybe if it was an organ and they notes were a little longer, but the guitar just.... I don't like it's mymic job you know. I looked it up, and now I understand why it doesn't click. But I'll never tell. Mostly because I didn't figure it out on my own, but also because it'd be very bad.
  5. Another Girl: Easily one of the best songs by the group in my opinion, it was penned by Sir McCartney and features him on lead fills and lead vox. This is very similar to The Night Before, It's very fun and makes me want to get up and play along. I really love this and I really can't find much to say about it that I didn't say earlier in this review.
  6. You're Going To Lose That Girl: Not huge on the fact there's another long track that could work as being lines in each others songs. I don't know why, but this isn't that bad. I mean, I know all the words to this track, it makes me want to play along. And that's kinda the magic of this group. They always have solid drum beats, catchy vocals, great bridges, tasty licks and at this period some nice sharp guitar tones. If the guitar was mixed louder I'd almost think it was taken from Roxy & Elsewhere or at least that 1973-1974 period where he used "razor blades" to play. It's hard to hate any of their songs. I do like the intro to this song, and love that bongo.
  7. Ticket to Ride: I never got this. The first Beatles CD I had, my cousins burned it on my computer, was 1. There was songs I skipped, and never really liked to listen to. To my recollection all have either grown, or degrown (but not to the point of not liking it) on me, except this track. This honestly was the same from day one, in terms of feelings. Few tracks are like that. I know its a popular Beatles song, but I'm not into liking things just because they are popular. I like what I do because I do. Let's hope the chord structures unique or interesting. I mean I guess I can look at the sheet music and see if I like the way it's voiced. I mean I didn't see anything that I thought was mind blowing, but I do like the ending. I kinda wish that didn't fade out of the best part, but you know.
  8. Act Naturally: This is a cover of a song by Buck Owens and The Buckaroos, sung by Ringo. This song is so Ringo, you kinda can't hate it. And this is also the perfect song to be on this album, it's almost self aware. It wasn't written for this, but this is the soundtrack, Side 1, for their second movie and it talks about "Acting Naturally" while being in the "Movies". It's a country diddy that fits very well too. I do like the 
  9. It's Only Love: This is a sequel of sorts to Your Gonna Loose That Girl, but where that song is fun this is more sad or low. This sounds like an outtake from, honestly, Beatles For Sale. It's kind of a romantic feeling to it, but I don't know. I really am kind of out of things to say about it. I mean, I really can't think of anything I haven't said earlier, or later, here that is different. Not that it's not different, just I don't have anything to say.
  10. You Like Me Too Much: This is another just okay song. This is much better than I Need You, but it still kinda reminds me of that, but also mixed with some other songs on this album. The piano reminds me a little of a saloon, but the pianet reminds me of the other songs with it used on it. This could almost be looked at as George's take on The Night Before. This is more relaxed, or loose rather. I don't think those are the right words but where TNB is urgent and fast, this is took a toke and played the same song. Does that make sense?
  11. Tell Me What You See: See this is another track that would be snug on Beatles For Sale. And I... Damnit what song. This reminds me a lot of Every Little Thing or maybe What You're Doing, though that little post chorus sections with the really cool "fill" is sick. Not mind blowingly sick, but sick enough. But that's the only really interesting part. And the thing is even the lesser songs on Beatles For Sale have something going for them, interesting arrangements or instruments. Or the fact there is a cover or two, so if a cover's not exciting I don't really hold it against the bad. And both of those song listed earlier are notable better than this. And the change is more.... they flow better.
  12. I've Just Seen A Face: A song that touches me every time I hear it. It's so innocent, I mean it has a skiffle feeling to it, and it's also a country song. This is like All Together Now, except this is a love song. From the drum sound (achieved with "brushed snares" I looked it up), to the vocals (not double tracked), to the solo that is works and never sounds a bit off. This is also a great song to get you into the full effects of the next track. There isn't much here to comment about, it's just a really great song that's infectious as hell. Much like some of the other greats on this album.
  13. Yesterday: This really is worthy of being a standard. Being the most covered song ever, officially, its gorgeous. The original is the best but its such a well written song its one of those, every version is either, good great or above. Songs like Autumn Leaves and Summertime are like this. I've yet to hear a bad rendition if this, or those. There obviously lesser version, but I haven't come across a totally bad version. It's got the gentle touch of a solo song that is just so intimate. The string arrangement reminds me a little of a variation of the Family Way soundtrack that was arranged by George Martin also, and was written by Paul. This is how arrangents should vs the sometimes over-arranged (at parts) Let It Be album, though I do think it'd be siginficatly better if it's wasn't so "wall of sound" 
  14. Dizzy Miss Lizzy: This is a cover which I'd assume was rather dizzying back in the day. Now it is still kinda, bug not so much. It's not half bad, but it's also not that amazing. It's a rocker that closes the album, but the sharp tone might be mixed a little too loud without not enough power. Like there are parts where it sounds like it's not synced up. Like the double track isn't matched up close enough. That kinda sucks about it, but I wish the guitar also was more intresting. Not just that same riff. Play little fills and licks, not "Da Da Da DaDeLa Da Da".
Overall I have to give this album a 7/10. Of the 14 only 4 in my mind are flawless. At the end of the day one of the weaker albums in my opinion. But saying that doesn't take away from this being one of the best albums on the 60's. Maybe I'm biased, I mean there are songs here I haven't heard in a few years that I am picking up on things I try to do in songs. But I try to look passed my biases. This is where they started trying new things, not to the extent of Rubber Soul but seriously. There isn't another album by the group that sounds that similar to this, if you look past the songs that are "outtakes". But the worst part here is that the songs are so short and go by so fast, it's hard to get all my thoughts out. TBH that's kind of a good "flaw". If you get a chance check out the mono version of this, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment