Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Halloween - John Carpenter

This is the soundtrack/score to the 1978 classic slasher film Halloween. Funny enough, this sound track was released two years after the sequel's, Halloween II, from 1981. I saw this film a few years ago in High School, and I thought it was pretty great. I mean I think I need to re-watch it, but still. But since my friend Justin has released a new mini-album, coming the 31st, I decided to review the album that inspired it. I already heard it, I think it's pretty good, but let's here where this style supposedly (from my understanding) originated from. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Horror Synth  started here
  1. Main Theme: This is the famous theme to the film of the same name. When I listen to the recording though, without the images, I picked up on something right away. Something that actually pissed me off. There is a little loop that's about a second long, and it sounds like it's skipping maybe. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like this the whole feeling of the song is great. I just wish I could cut the bug zapper sound out. I can't really think of anything else to call it other than it's high and sometimes is buried but it still plays in my head. Even the drums aren't half bad, or the sample that is the drums. But I do like how the song gets larger and I imagine if it was orchestrated it'd sound fantastic with a similar arrangement.
  2. Laurie's Theme: I think this isn't that bad of a track. I'm not 100% if there is or isn't a violin or a string instrument here, but regardless I think this is a decent track. Maybe not as good of a stand alone as the prior track, but I mean it give a mood.
  3. Shape Escapes: A reprise of Main Titles. just about 1 minute and a half shorter. Also with the addition of a lazer sound effects. Basically that serves as the variation on the theme. But if I'm being serious I prefer this length for this track over the Main Titles over 3 mintues.
  4. Meyer's House: I might be crazy, but this sounds like a more together version of Laurie's Theme. I had to revisit this to make sure it wasn't. Then there is this like chimes thing, not real chimes but it kinda simulated chimes. Before going back into the first part and the eventually into the theme. At this fucking point............... The theme has played on three of the four tracks. And it's very minute differences. The biggest difference in the theme is the thing that pissed me off was even louder than before, thought it doesn't bother me in this case... oddly enough.
  5. Michael Kills Judith: Finally, this is unique to this track. It's very minimal, starting with just one tone at a time being held. I can't think of the exact phrase for what's happening, but I'm not to concerned with it at the moment. I do think the piano adds to it. It then stops and it just that one synth. I also love the dissonance here. I couldn't picture really any scene before but this piece really reminds me of that girl dying. So that's a plus, but I do genuinely think this is the best track so far on the album. Thought maybe the last time it plays the main part I could do with out. Like after about 2:46ish. I don't think it's all that necessary. I mean it does close the song more harmonically maybe, but there was a lot of dissonance so I don't see why they'd want to end it with consonance.
  6. Loomis and Shape's Car: The titular theme, but this time with an new synth.... maybe. I could be remember wrong. Yea.
  7. "The Haunted House": When this track started I had to stop the review. I got up and went to the bathroom. Now this isn't a terrible track, it's just I've basically already heard this before. And I still have about 14 minutes left of this album. Also the stupid fucking ending thing then silence then start thing again on every track.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. The Shape Lurks: I'm gonna take a shot in the dark...... A another track that contains nothing really but the theme. Hey I was wrong, there is a dissonance that I really think creeps me out. I'm glad this is here. It's not very pretty and not only is it ugly (which here is a good thing) it ends and doesn't start up again.
  9. Laurie Knows: ..... Refer to track 2, if you want to hear this. Guess what plays after this song stops................ I don't think I'll ever figure it out.
  10. Better Check the Kids: This title makes me laugh, I imagine someone doing a stereotypical African American attitude you see in movies. I mean I just laughed, and I'm glad that I was excited. But the second it started.... that joy was slowly killed off. Don't get me wrong it's not that I hate this style, it's I can't stand there is so many tracks that literally have the exact same, or almost exact same, audio as each other.
  11. The Shape Stalks: This is different, kinda. But in reality, I think this is more annoying and at this point I can't tolerate the minimalism-esque repetition. I like minimalism, but this album hasn't really done anything to let me enjoy it's repetition.
Overall I have to give this album a 4/10. I want to score films, that's what I'd like to do when I'm grown up. But the thing is for a sound track to be memorable right.......  Well not really. I believe it need to evoke whatever emotion or feel the movie/scene calls for. Now yes a genre helps you convey the style of the film The Good, The Bad and The Ugly has more of a spacious lonely wandering feeling. Not that it isn't epic, I'm just saying in reality it's mostly more vast and spacious, which the West probably was. Indiana Jones has an adventurous feeling that makes you want to be a part of his journey. Irreversible has a more uncomfortable feeling and uneasiness that adds to what's already a difficult (for some) film to watch. While this has an atmosphere, is iconic and is eerie..... I can't sit through an entire 33 minutes of what is basically Theme, other theme, theme + sound, new piece, theme again + newer sound. While in the movie it works, as a stand alone piece it doesn't even come close to something that I really enjoy. I mean those films listed above all have tracks that are different enough and have stand out enough moments to where Yes I enjoy listening and want to watch the film...... this makes me feel I better wait till I forget about the soundtrack because I might be focusing on the music more then the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment