Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wounded Healer - The Followers

This is the first time that I've ever heard of these guys. I saw a link to download this album off NoiseTrade for free. And the album cover is also intresting, so why not give it a try. It said that these guys are from Portland Oregon. It also said that the genre, that was there when I put it on my iTunes, was Neo-Gospel. I don't exactly know what that means but they started at a Church.This was released May 5th, 2012. And one last thing, if you like this you can buy it at their bandcamp page. I started this review on the 15th, and I am going to review another free album today, but upload it the 17th. Either that or I'll do a free album every day this week.
  1. Wounded Healer: This song starts out pretty promising. It is kind of getting my hopes up for this to be good. The guys voice sounds like a mix of Win Butler, and maybe like a Bob Dylan. I kind of like it. Then a girl comes and sings on this song. This almost gives me a more electric John Wesley Harding combine with Arcade Fire. This sounds a lot better than I thought it would.
  2. Waiting To Find You: This gives me this M. Ward's newest album A Wasteland Companion vibe to it. You know, like this has this Novelty Music feeling that I am getting from this. This also kind of reminds me of The Band with the way the keyboards are being played. This has more of a country sound to it vs the last song.
  3. Overwhelmed: This song gives me a big feel to it. The one thing about it is that I feel like it might begin to overwhelm people that don't care for the message. I like the message, but the theme is beginning to take it's toll. I still like this, but I hope I can withstand this album.
  4. Enfold Me: This feels like a gospel song. This one is ok, but I'm afraid of what is to come for the rest of this album.The first song had promise and this one is decent, but it's progressively gotten worse from track 2.
  5. Morning Star Rise: This song has the same vibe as the title track off this album. This is a nice change. I thought that the rest of this thing was going to be a bummer. This song is pretty decent.
  6. Sweet Submission: This song gives me this feeling that I picture getting from the cover of Let It Be Me that Dylan did off 1970's double album Self Portrait. Something like that or maybe off of a Music from Big Pink vs Nashville Skyline. I might just be crazy, but that's what I picture in my head for this song. And for that fact decent chunk of this album
  7. Just A Closer Walk: This sounds like a gospel song. I don't think that I can really say much more.
  8. Take Me To Your Side: This is more of a Wasteland Companion song. This song is pretty cool. I like this song, and it is one of the better ones.
  9. You Did Everything: The beginning of this song has like falsetto vocal or something on it that made me chuckle. This song is a good song that defiantly adds to the rating score. The instrumentation on this is cool, and suprised me.
  10. God's Eternal Now: The beginning of this song has a like acoustic thing that reminded me of the song Angels off, originally, the 2002 Live album by comedy duo Flight of the Conchords. This song is a good way to end this album. I thought that this song is enjoyable.
Overall I have to give this a 6.8/10. Now, I'm a Christian, but I can't listen to Christian music. I don't know why, but it's too repetitive for me and just... boring :(.  This is a little bit more of a change for me. I found this more interesting and when it said that it was influenced by 70's gospel sounds, you can tell, but in a very good way. The thing is that I went back and forth on this. I didn't love it, but I thought it was enjoyable. I recommend this to anyone who likes the Bob Dylan albums when he did stuff with The Band, or to anyone who likes 70's Gospel music. I do want to buy this album, hopefully there will be a CD version. I'm definatly reviewing their next release.

No comments:

Post a Comment