Friday, June 21, 2013

Yeezus - Kanye West

This is the new Kanye Cd. I picked this up the day it came out and also Fashionably Late [Deluxe], Random Access Memory, and Sounds of Silence and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy [Deluxe]. I was waiting for this album, I believe, since the day it was released. Now, after a few listens I believe that I have a decent idea of what I think of this album.
  1. On Sight: I think this song isn't very interesting. I know that I do like the way that No Love Deep Web is very minimalistilicism, but that doesn't mean I like when Kanye does it. I do like that sample in the middle though. I think it's the best part of the song. I'm not hating on this song, but I'm not a huge fan of finding out "My Spouse" likes "Chocolate Men". I do like the Judge Joe Brown reference, but that's because I just recently referenced him to something.
  2. Black Skinhead: This song reminds me of Marilyn Manson's song Beautiful People. I don't like Manson, but I do like this song. I could almost, beside the whole rapping part, being one of his tracks. There is a part where the beat reminds me a little bit of Come Up And Get It. But more of it just reminds me of Beautiful People. This is an angry song. The more I listen to this song, it kind of loses it's "shock". Even though it wasn't that shocking at first.
  3. I Am God: This song reminds me, the beat, a little of Death Grips. Not an extreme amount, but just enough to where I could recognize it. This song is pretty angry. I wonder why he is so angry, and why he chose this album to be this angry. Part of the beat actually reminds me of, like the synth part, some Lil B beats on Myspace mixtape thingy.
  4. New Slaves: When I heard this song, I rolled my eyes. Kanye would write a song about this. This song reminds me a little of Death Grips. I like the beat on this song. The soul sample in this song is awesome. I like the way that it leads into that. I know this is a political-esque-type song, but I think it's good that he at least has one political song. The ending to the fade is definitely the best part. Months later like this song a lot more. My biggest complaint is the instrumental punch tthat has no punch to it. If it was stronger then maybe I'd enjoy it more, but you know what ever. And I also like Frank Ocean's part here.
  5. Hold My Liquor: The beginning of this song reminds me of The Weeknd. The song I'm thinking of is The Fall. The way the beat is in the beginning, before he starts singing. After the auto-tune is over, I do think this isn't that bad of a song. I think it's kind of cool. I really like the way it is. It kind of has an eerie feeling to it. The music in this is actually pretty. I kind of think it's music where you could think to it. If that makes any sense.
  6. I'm In It: I like the Careless Whisper reference. The sample reminds me of how Lil B sampled some of his samples on I'm Gay or Gods Father. Though the latter is a gift from heaven, that doesn't mean I like it when Yeezy does it.
  7. Blood On The Leaves: I could see how people might find this obnoxious, but I like it. It reminds me of  808s & Heartbreaks. I'm not huge on the use of auto-tune, but there is something about how Kanye uses it. I'm not saying he is a "God", but I think sometimes his auto-tune is interesting sounding. But the Nina Simone can get a little obnoxious, but yeah. I do like the piano in it; but the rest of the song, beside what I complimented, isn't very good.
  8. Guilt Trip: This track is nothing special either. It's actually kind of boring. 
  9. Send It Up: Nah
  10. Bound 2: This is actually a pretty decent track. This is much better than the last few tracks. This is kind of like a book closer. But what's with the sample that's abruptly cut. :(
Overall I have to give this album a 5/10. I wish Rubin didn't do what he did. I wondered what theses songs sounded like before they were stripped down. Like Daft Punk's production on Black Skinhead. I wonder what it sounded like before it was stripped. I'm not saying the minimalism, but I think there are other artists who do a much better job at it. This was ok, I don't understand the whole big ordeal about it though. There isn't any question that "I can't handle the noise". I listen to John ZornMr. Bungle, Death Grips, Naked City, Hanatarash and there is other "noise" that I listen to. Even with the new apperciation, I'd only give it nore more than a 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment