Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West

This is an album by Kanye. I kind of remember when this came out. I remember thinking that the album cover was too stupid to be censored and that he music have been very cocky and selfish to make an album cover like this. I don't have a problem with controversial album art, but I just thought that this one was ignorant. For what ever reason that affected me to not want to listen to this.
  1. Dark Fantasy: This song starts out with like a prologue to a child's story. A British girl is saying things that kind of remind me of Dr. Seuss. Then there is like a choir of auto tune that actually sounds pretty cool. Then Kanye begins to rap. I think that the beat on this is actually pretty cool. The chorus of the song is like the auto tune part. I think that he actually does a good job at this flow. YES an Urkel reference. This is a good way to start off the album and I hope for this kind of enjoyment out of this for the rest of the album. This actually also kind of reminds me of the song that just came out by the band Fun. called We Are Young. {8/10}
  2. Gorgeous: This song has Raekwon and Kid CuDi guest featuring on it. This song is also pretty cool. I think that the way this sounds it kind of reminds me of Wu-Tang Clan. I know that this is better than the songs that I heard off the hip hop collectives 1997 sophomore album Wu-Tang Forever. {8/10}
  3. POWER: Oh Fuck this song is sick. He samples the first track, 21st Century Schizoid Man, off King Crimson's 1969 debut masterpiece In The Court Of The Crimson King. That is one of my favorite albums of all time. This song is exactly what it's called, Power! This song is super cool and pumps you up, a lot. Another thing is that at the end there is someone who is singing and it sounds like Frank Ocean to me. This is really cool and so far into this album I wan't to buy this album on vinyl and cd. You won't believe me if you don't hear this song. You got to laugh when it says "This will be a beautiful death" and then the backing vocals go "jumping out the window". That only shows how cocky Yeezy is. I mean seriously, would anyone care if he killed himself, besides himself.{9/10}
  4. All Of The Lights (Interlude): This is like an powerful song. I feel like it is going to build up into something big. I hope that it will be as big as POWER or any other song thus far.
  5. All Of The Lights: This song features Kid CuDi and Rihanna. I think that Rhy Dowg really hurts this song for me. She bugs me a lot, the beat is ok on this, but it isn't as big as I wanted it to be. I like CuDi on this song. His part is really cool and I think that he does a good job. Rihanna's part is kind of obnoxious. The way her voice is done bugs me and it kind of hurts the power of this song for me.
  6. Monster: This song features Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, and I was very surprised when I saw this guy, Bon Iver. This song really is like a rap battle. I don't think that this song is that amazing. Probably because Wu-Tang Clan set the bar for rap battle sounds on an album with Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). The lyrics on this mention a pharaoh, I don't really like that, but whatever. I was hoping that I would like this song a lot more than I did. I mean this song isn't bad, but I don't think that its what I wanted it to be. And Nicki kind of hurt the song for me a little. She actually hurt the song more than Rihanna did on the last song. This is one of the better tracks. {7/10}
  7. So Appalled: This song features artists including Jay-Z, Pusha T, CyHi Da Prynce, Swizz Beatz & The RZA. This song very much so let me down. I don't really like this song and it kind of drags on. The lyrics and the beat aren't that good. This is actually something that I could see OFWGKTA doing. Sorry.... but Kanye is a lot bigger than them. Don't you think that he should do a better song than Odd Future. The beat, for me, is so plain that I focused on the lyrics for this one. The lyrics aren't ever that amazing. I didn't really like this song {5/10}
  8. Devil In A New Dress: Rick Ross was featured on this song. I think that this is has second appearance on this album. This song is pretty ite. I don't hate it or can't stand it. I actually think that this song is ok and decent. But as I said earlier, this has kind of been a let down since after track 4. The one thing that kind of saves this track for me though is the fact that it kind of reminds me of Marvin Gaye. There is also a crackle in the background that probably gives it a Marvin Gaye vibe to it.{8/10}
  9. Runaway: This is the only song to have Pusha T on it. This song sounds pretty cool. But the lyrics are pretty much like douche bag party. It seems like they are celebrating being ass holes. I don't really have respect for the fact that he did this. Maybe if Justin Timberlake did this it would be funnier. But since Kanye, who is a notorious dick, it doesn't work for me. I mean I like the song a lot, outside of the lyrics. There is like a 30 minute music video/short film for this song. I really do like this song. The beat on this track and everything is pretty cool to. There is an over 3 minute outro of basically the exact same thing. {8/10}
  10. Hell Of A Life: The way this song is, it kind of sounds like Heartless. I know it's a strech, but the way the song is set up. The instrumentation sounds like he sampled The Black Keys, what I would want to say, Gold On The Ceiling. I might be wrong, mainly because that song didn't come out until just over one year later. There is a like solo in there that actually sounds pretty cool. Then there is a part where it reminds me of The Weeknd.
  11. Blame Game: This song features John Legend. This song reminds me of the song Airplanes by B.o.B. and I think that's a catchy song, but I don't love it. I think that they did a good job on this but I feel like this isn't something that I haven't heard before in my life. {7/10}
  12. Lost In The World: This is the second song to have Bon Iver on it. There is a heavily auto tuned barbershop quartet sounding vocals in it. Then the beat comes in. This song is better than the last few tracks. This isn't that amazing but it's still better than So Appalled. When he starts rapping its ok. There is like an African drum beat leading to the end. This song isn't anything POWER or Dark Fantasy like, but more Gorgeous. I still like this, but I don't love it. {7.2/10}
  13. Who Will Survive In America: This song is actually pretty cool. It is supposed to be like telling what is what. Whatever, I don't necessarily agree with what is being said, but if you don't listen to the words then it sounds ok.
Overall I have to give this a 6.6/10. The first couple tracks were awesome. The thing about it though is that it just went downhill from All Of The Lights. It kind of hurts to think that I was willing to buy this on vinyl. I still want the CD for my collection, but I don't like it as much as I though. And the thing too is that it just feels terrible to hear this whole entire thing. The last like 10 tracks aren't that good, and they are the longer tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment