Saturday, April 7, 2012

Teenage Dream - Katy Perry

This is the second studio album by pop singer Katy Perry under the name Katy Perry. Her first ever album was self titled under her birth name Katy Hudson released in 2001. And that it was christian/gospel music instead of pop music we know her for. I think that some of her music is actually pretty decent. Now the reason I picked Teenage Dream is because this has songs that I know off the top of my head. There are more songs on this one I know than on One of the Boys. My little sister actually has the clean version of this album. Another reason I have to review this is because I heard Part of Me, Firework, and The One That Got Away on the radio today. Also how could you not love the album cover. I would put the list of producers, but there is a shit load, 10.
  1. Teenage Dream: This is the title track and it is a song I'm not huge on. I don't really like this song that much. I didn't like the video for the song, and I didn't really like the song. The song just kind of bugs me and kind of annoying to me.
  2. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.): This song is another single from the album, and another music video. The video for this was actually pretty neat. The reason was because it kind of reminded me of a mini movie. Like Thriller, this was an interesting longer video. Lady Gaga's music videos are in no way artsy and they don't make sense. There isn't any "You don't look deep enough" it's just for attention. People that think they are insightful aren't and they don't know anything about art. I'm no artistic mastermind or even understand some art, but I know that people try to be different. Don't try to be anything, just be the way you are. Back to this song, I think that this is actually a pretty good song. I think that this is also a fun song.
  3. California Gurls (featuring Snoop Dogg): I remember when this song came out. I remember, like every healthy teenage boy, Loving the music video. Katy defiantly knows how to get attention. This video, beside her, is actually not terrible. It's kind of funny, in a way. Well any way, this song is pretty catchy. I like that 
  4. Firework: This is another songs that I'm not huge on. I know that it's a single, and they are supposed to be the best songs on the album, but I don't think that it's that great.
  5. Peacock: This song reminds me of Mickey by Toni Basil. I think that this song is very much so a song that I could see being a cheer. One that a friendly cheerleader would sing to you, right before she tries to get with you. This song doesn't really grab my attention, except lyrically. There is a beat in there that is the same beat that is in California Gurls. There is no way that she isn't singing about a penis.
  6. Circle the Drain: This song is a song that reminds me of a 90's pop song. This song is also the one where she says the word fucking. I think it's actually kind of ''sexy'' that she says fuck. I don't know why but it's different. I don't think that she really swears in other songs, but in this one she makes it sound kind of like she wants to get it out. This song is actually really neat. It kind of makes me feel like I'm tripping and she is telling me to stop because she doesn't want to take care of me, while I'm tripping. There is like pitch shifting done to the vocals as the songs is going on. It's kind of like the song Initiation by The Weeknd, but not to that extreme of vocal pitch shift
  7. The One That Got Away: This is one of the songs that I'm not big on. Actually I don't even like this one. It kind of bugs me, more than Teenage Dream. I don't know why, but there is something about that just irritates me about this song. It is like the others but this one just rubs me the wrong way. This is a good song though. I think it's good, but I don't like it.
  8. E.T.: I can't tell you how many times I heard this song at summer school on the bus. It was ridiculous how much I did. The fucking radio couldn't go one day without playing that. Now that I can listen to it by choice, I like it more. I think that this song is more dark than the other songs on this album. The rest of the songs are pop songs, and this one is a little more "scary". The video is "scary" if you think about it. It's not a stretch for a little kid, who might love her, be scared of the video. Well beside the Kanye part.... Oh shit! I really like this song, actually it's my favorite on the album. I think that there is this almost hypnotic brainwashing feel to the song that makes it impossible not to like it. I love it, not the video, but the song. {9/10}
  9. Who Am I Living For?: The way this song is, with the way its sung and the beat. It kind of reminds me of The Weeknd or Drake. This is more of a R&B sounding song verses the other pop songs. I actually think that this song is pretty cool. It is another song that is a little different from the others on the album. It's always good to have variation, but it also depends on the artist and genre. This is a good song and it has cool singing {7.8/10}
  10. Pearl: This is another song that remind me of like a mash up of a pop country song. I could see Kelly Clarkson singing this song. I also like this one, for the fact that it's different form the rest. I don't love it or think that it's amazing, but it's good to have variation.
  11. Hummingbird Heartbeat: This song title sounds like one that I would pull out of my ass. No offense to Katy, but the title doesn't really sound like a song, if that makes sense. Well anyway this song is ok. This is a return to something that reminds me of Teenage Dream. She says virginity in this song, and I think that it's all about being in love. This kind of sounds like a filler, but that doesn't make it a bad song. Some of my favorite Beatles songs where actually their fillers. Don't Bother Me, Little Child, I think that the cover versions were to. And the melody on the second side of Abbey Road was all filler, unfinished songs. That little 17 minute melody changed my perspective on music. Though I am not crazy about the song it's not terrible. It's actually just over 16 minutes.
  12. Not Like The Movies: This is a song with piano. It is kind of a sweet way to end the album. I think that this sounds like a song that would be in a Disney soundtrack.
Overall I have to give this a 6.8/10. What can I say, Katy pulled off on damn good album. I might not be huge on it so much, but that doesn't make it a bad album. I think that there were to many parts on it that hurt it a little. I am still going to do all of her other stuff, and Gaga's 2009 Fame Monster Ep

No comments:

Post a Comment