Thursday, March 3, 2016

77 Rusty Trombones - Blowfly

You know, everyone has to go sometime, but it's odd. This year has been of to a crazy start. Lemmy died at the tail end of last year, my Grandfather New Years Eve, Bowie the 10th, Glen Frey the 18th and I can't believe that Clarence is gone too (17th). It's kind of funny, I kind of wanted to write a song for him on one of his newer records. I mean, I doubt it'd be as filthy as him, but still. There has not been a year, to my memory (like as in what I remember, not what I can recall as fact) where so many people have died in such a short time. When I looked it up, I was like wow Otis Clay is gone too (8th). So it's getting to a point where I'm waiting to hear Macca, Prince, Dylan, Hancock, Zorn, Patton and so on have passed too. I mean it's just odd, I'm the one who has uploaded most of the Blowfly whosampled information to the site. Really, I took the time because I felt people should know and see and hear great tunes, and parodies. Now he's gone. In the time of me reviewing this Vanity passed and so did Signe Toly Anderson (Jefferson Airplane singer) and Paul included. So hopefully this review will hold over till Reid month.
  1. If You Don't Blow Me By Now: This, a parody of Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 1972 If You Don't Know Me By Now, opens the album. It has a sort of mournful feeling, and is kind of perfect to close the record if I'm being honest. I think that this is pretty great and I can't ask for much better at this point in his career. 
  2. The Big Gay Crack: This is hilarious, a parody of The Payback by James Brown. This song is so fucking hilarious. I really can't even, it show he still can sort of leave you speachless. Other than Big Gay reminds me of Big Gay Al.
  3. Masturbate: I don't know for sure if this is a parody off the bat. It does remind me a bit of something off the 70's albums though. This sort of reminds me of the themes, like the in-between song themes, or vamps rather, he'd play on albums like Weird World of Blowfly, or Zodiac or On Tour.  Also there is some nice guitar on this track, I wish there was more of a solo, but it's still tasty. Actually it most reminds me of The First Black Presidents' backing track.
  4. I Still Believe My Dick Can Fly: This is a reworking of the parody that found it's way on 2005's I Believe My Dick Can Fly. It's actually pretty great to be honest, I mean I'm not laughing.... but the music kind of makes me want to cry a bit. Also that break in the song makes me smile. :)
  5. Blowfly Jeopardy: This is a silly little skit that sort of reminds me of the skit tracks on album from the 80's like Black President and other skits, especially on his latest album (Black In The Sack). They played the theme over Tom asking questions to Fly and a band member, I presume.
  6. Mountain Jew: This song is hilarious, it's so upbeat. It's so happy, I really want to find out what it's supposed to be spoofing. I love the tone on this, there is a country feeling to it. It's too good to be honest. If I had to guess I'd say it's a parody of a Creedence Clearwater Revival tune, but again I'm not sure. I guess this is a spoof of the really old song, from the 20's, Good Old Mountain Dew. That song is about Moonshine.
  7. American Ho Woman: This is a parody of American Woman by The Guess Who. I mean it's okay, but I don't really think the players are as good on here as they were on the prior tracks. I mean it sort of sounds off and doesn't really work well in my opinion. Nice solo though.
  8. She's Got A Weiner: This is another ballad, but....... I don't really know what to make of it first time though. I mean, this isn't the first time  he's had a song where a woman turned out to be a man. I can name at least a handful, all the versions of Rap Dirty included. I mean it's as frequent as Van Morrison and the word Caledonia. Also I'm positive this is wrong, but is this a spoof of She's A Lady? This is a soul song, so I'm not sure exactly what it's supposed to be
  9. I Fuck Everything: I smirked a bit when I saw that title, there exists a Bowie tune I Dig Everything from 1966. Imagine that song being Fly'd. Hilarious, I mean I doubt it would be, but just kinda funny. Instead it's a Stylistics parody of You Are My Everything.  I doubt he'd have done the Bowie tune, but the upbeat happy vibe of that would be amazing if they were fuck instead of dig. 
  10. He Will Fuck You: Ah, another We Will Rock You parody. There isn't anything really to say other than this is probably the closest to the original I can recall. This is the third time he's done it, second as a full track. 
  11. Celebrity ABC's: This is basically a rerecording of Sesame Street which he's done under a few different names over the years. This is the last, and is kind of fitting that its on the last. I mean that isn't much to comment on really.
  12. Fakin' the Bi: This is a punk song, but I couldn't quite pin down which one exactly. I had to wait and I still couldn't figure it out. I like it though, so if you know let me know. This is kind of funny, who doesn't hate a woman who fakes being bi (I think that is what this is about, I can't really understand). I still think it's a nice addition to the album.
  13. Hell's Hoe Dolly: I really loved this, it's similar to Mountain Jew. I can kind of assume it's a cover of Hello Dolly, but you can't be sure. PS I can only assume after listening. This is just such a fun song, I feel like it is the only way, besides the bitter sweet ending with If You Don't Blow Me By Now, to end the album and his career. I mean his best albums are party records, they are just fun to listen to and not take seriously and this capture's that.
Overall I have to give this last album a 7/10. There is a bit of a closure to this album. There is a fun element to this that reminds me of Weird World. I wonder if he knew he was sick. There is sort of a goodbye feeling to this, it's not as deep as Blackstar but it's rather accepting. There is something bittersweet about this (but in a different way than the other mentioned album). I don't know. Maybe it's that I know it's the last record we'll ever get (not like how the aforementioned Hero planned outtake albums and what not to come out). Maybe it's that this is fun to listen to and not just an old man who won't grow up. I don't know but I think it's nice. I want to also note, if you happen to know what the songs are spoofing and I don't have it down, let me know in the comments I'd love to know.

The only thing I think that could make this feel like more of a closing is if he play the Weird World theme. But all things aside, when Clarence passed we lost of of the best soul writers to have ever been born. 

No comments:

Post a Comment