Monday, August 15, 2016

Supermodel - Foster the People

So the last review was so I could clear up space on my iPod, and now I want to clear up a review that's just been sitting and doing nothing for two years. Plus last night I did get some shit done, so why not do this today. This is the second album by Foster the People. This is supposed to be a concept album about, basically, the negative aspects of society. The tracks I've heard off this so far show progression, which is always a good thing. But then once I kinda started this review I was like..... There's a reason it's taken so long to do #boring. So I decided to break up the album over a number of other tracks to "cleanse" my pallet rather than another front to back listen.
  1. Are You What You Want To Be?: I like the island influence in this song and thing it's pretty decent. It reminds me a little of The Police. It's nowhere near as good as them, but it's okay. There is a part where they cry and it reminds me of Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo. I hope you know what I mean? Oh just to be clear, it isn't as good as the original :D. Now coming back to this album to review it, I am very much fear ful for that introduction. It's almost as if I was getting ready for a cringe. I still can tolerate the reggae vibe of the tune, but this isn't that good, and I'm pretty sure I have more of this waiting for me. It's not as bad as Let Me Be, but it's not good IMO. I hear theses little flourishes but I mean it's anything I can't here elsewhere and done better or more interesting. Like I feel like this is trying to engage you or suck you into the the song. Kinda of like a video game, I can't think of the word, but this doesn't pull me in and make me forget I'm listen to a pop song.
  2. Ask Yourself: This opens okay, I mean it isn't the best but it isn't offensive. There is a reason that this kind of reminds me of The Cure (I should do a Cure review) if they were popier. Like maybe this comparison will be bad, but maybe Friday I'm in Love (but stripped of what makes it a solid tune). There's also a bit of a Coldplay feeling.
  3. Coming Of Age: Holy fuck this intro reminds me of CP. You know, this is an okay song, but nothing I'ven't heard before. The vocals and what not just make me think of any other indie band I know. I do like the electronics and may return to this track once in a blue moon, but you know it's nothing I'd listen to like MGMT or St. Vincent along some others. The singing reminds me a ton of Mylo Xyloto, and the intro sounds like it could have been on that album. I really have taken nothing away from this track.
  4. Nevermind: Nice acoustic guitar, but really I can't remember a single thing that happened during and while I was listening to the track. Kinda trippy, but I'd rather listen to Freak Out!. It's like they watered songs down. The ending reminds me of something but I don't care enough to remember.
  5. Psuedologia Fantastica: This track reminds me a little of MGMT with the use of electronics. It actually makes me think of Alien Days if it was written back in their 2008 or earlier days. The electronic kind of reminds me of Siberian Breaks too, but not as cool. This title fits this odd song, but you know I've heard better song in this style than that and may hurt my outlook the song. Maybe The Handshake or another Oracular Spectacular track. Though I think this is cooler than Pumped Up Kicks and shows progression artistically, It just doesn't drag me in. I wish the song would have ended with those piano chords, like had them play over the solo of sorts. That would have been cool. The white noise fade is effective, but I still think that track was a little long. And by a little long it gets kinda boring, I mean the piano works but still. I don't know.
  6. The Angelic Welcome of Mr. Jones: Well this is an interlude that really does nothing at the end of the day. I mean I get the point, but I don't think it really adds to anything. 
  7. Best Friend: This is the first song that I heard off this album. It reminds me, vocal harmony wise, of Duran Duran a la The Reflex or Notorious. The horns remind me a little of Notorious. This is a pretty decent track the first time though. You can also dance to this song, which also reminds me of DD. This also reminds me of The Black Keys off maybe Turn Blue. Also not really feeling the sentiment of this song, I mean I don't need to be told to look out for strung out friends.
  8. A Beginners Guide to Destroying the Moon: I don't care for this title. I don't know why, maybe because it reminds me of Dark Side of the Moon and A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson. Actually the vocals remind me of Say Anything at points. That's really all I have to say, I mean it's not terrible, but it's not to great. I feel like if you have a title like this you should do something tongue and cheek, not stupid.
  9. Goats in Trees: This must be about The Mountain Goats covering Rush songs. It's weird, that last song wasn't terrible, but this is just like I don't even want to listen to this anymore. Like I mean, nice acoustic guitar but that's all I can take from this, and the VanWyngarden sounding vocals.
  10. The Truth: "of Life", well if you've come to find that I'll let you in on a secret. "The only truth in life is right here in this bottle. Infact, I'd rather have this bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!". Points to anyone who gets that overly long and pointless reference. Actually there was a reference within the original, so it's like a reference inception. Oh this songs kinda boring, I had far more fun typing this. I mean I like the Handshake-ness but that doesn't mean I'll ever return to it.
  11. Fire Escape: This kinda reminds me of a less tormented Elliott Smith. But with other people doing the harmonies with him.
Overall I have to give this album a 4/10. Foster have grown, but they haven't done anything that make them stick out. They have a lot of interesting things on here that remind me of things I love. They don't have anything that makes them stick out and make me love them. There are other artists who are ballsy like MGMT, St. Vincent, Radiohead this band is more in line Coldplay who have evolved, but somehow don't take extreme chances. I can't stress how little I have interest in returning or even remembering this record. Maybe I should do another Red Hot Chili Pepper's album, and also Chicago's second album too.

No comments:

Post a Comment