Thursday, July 12, 2012

Harakiri - Serj Tankian

This is the third, and first album of four that were planned to be released by Serj, solo album by Serj Tankian lead singer of System Of A Down.  I'm not a huge fan, currently, of System of a Down. I can't really say I've given them a chance though. Part of the reason for that is that most of the fans, that I know, are "losers". Not all fans, just most that I know. Now that really doesn't attract me to a band. But after hearing about this album coming out back last April via Rock It Out Blog. Then I heard Figure it Out and I really wanted to get this album after hearing that song. Well I'm sick of not posting, so I'm going to post a review every day for the next 7 days, and then do Elliott Smith's sophomore self titled 1995 album that was released on July 21st on my birthday.
  1. Cornocopia: This song kind of remind me of Paramore. And I think that this is a good way to start the album. This song has this cool style that reminds me of either 2005's All We Know Is Falling or 2007's Riot. Listen to some of the songs on either of those and tell me if you agree with the style of the song.
  2. Figure It Out: This song is fast paced and just a sick song. I love the way that he sings this song, and then the verses sound sick. The double bass in the song at the verses, that sound like he has he has a radio that he's talking through. It reminds me of Mike Patton of Faith No More, my 6th favorite band, and Mr. Bungle, my 3rd favorite band, among others. The part right before the solo, is really cool. This is a good example of how solos don't have to be over complicated to be cool. Another example of that is Coffee & TV by blur off their March 1999 album titled 1999. {9.5/10}
  3. Ching Chime: I think that this song is kind of funny the way that he says Ching Chime. I don't exactly know why, but I think its humorous. The chorus to this song is also cool. I don't like this song as much as Figure It Out but I still do like it. The more I have heard this the more I like it. This has this Japanese type of feeling to it going on. This is a solid song. I like the electronics going on to. One thing though, I wish I was a little shorter. No big ordeal, but I just kind of wish it was.
  4. Butterfly: This song isn't exactly like Figure it Out but its more fast than the last track. I like that it isn't slowing down after the 2nd song. This song is interesting. Maybe because of the title Butterfly but this song brings to my mind the Pinkerton album cover. This doesn't really sound like Weezer but the name of the title does. Serj kind of reminds me of Frank Zappa for the fact that he speaks his mind and is kind of "vulgar" about it. Example he says, in this song, "We are being sacrificed by our own suspicions, we are being sodomized by repetitions." I respect that about him.
  5. Harakiri: This song is, from what I heard, a SOAD type of song. This is kind of a slower song. But that's kind of whats neat about it. I think that this is a pretty song. The lyrics to this song are also really kind of touching along with the music. This kind of remind me of the quieter parts of the song I Won't See You Tonight Prt 1 by Avenged Sevenfold's 2003 sophomore effort Waking the Fallen. This also, for some reason, reminds me, at the "choruses" of Paramore. I don't know why, but I do. This is a really cool and pretty song. And the song ends with just piano. So kind of like a reverse I Won't See You Tonight.
  6. Occupied Tears: This reminds me of the new Linkin Park album Living Things. Now I've never really been interested in Linkin Park, except What I've Done, because of Transformers and Bleed It Out, and No More Sorrow. Beside that I could care less. So I gave that Living Things a chance, its pretty damn good. This song kind sounds like it might fit on that album. There is a little cabaret style part in the song. And it, lyrically and feeling wise, reminds me of Weird Al's single Christmas at Ground Zero off his 1986 Polka Party!. The ending reminds me of Living Things too.
  7. Deafening Silence: This song starts out with a pretty acoustic guitar arpeggios being finger picked. Then theses electronics come in. This song, more than the last, makes me feel like it could be on Living Things. Its kind of uncanny to me about how much it would fit on there. He even kind of raps at a part in the song. He sings along with a woman and its touching, like the song Castle of Glass.
  8. Forget Me Knot: I really like this song. This is a piano driven song. More of a ballad. This song is basically a power ballad. This song is a really good and sweet song. I really like the fact that he kind of makes this louder and more intense at the chorus.
  9. Reality TV: This song, like Deafening Silence starts out with acoustic guitar finger picks and electronic sounds in it. One of then kind of sounds like Safety Dance but you really have to listen for it. Like REALLY HARD AND HAVE THAT IN MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I think that the lyrics to this song is kind of true. I think that the lyrics are funny. I don't think that I can say that not often enough.
  10. Uneducated Democracy: The song to start the wrap up is a fast paced song. This is a fun song that got me pumped for the final song. The lyrics are true to. I think that this is a solid song to. I think that this is probably going to be a good music video. I like the way the chorus sounds and the pre-chorus sound almost a sick.
  11. Weave On: This song is a total, for me, Paramore-esque song. This song is a really good and I think that it's a good way to end the album. This song sound like everything fits together perfectly. This also reminds me of Beelzebub (The Final Showdown) by Tenacious D off the 2006 soundtrack to The Pick of Destiny. That is one of my favorite songs ever. Later on in the song there is a part where he is singing along with the bass and drums and this, what I think is, a trumpet. 
Overall I have to give this a 8/10. This was a surprise to me that I enjoyed it so much. I never would of thought that I like this as much as I did. Though this album kind of progressively slows down and gets more electronic, it gets almost "better". All I can really say is that this is a solid album and you should check it out for yourself. Also the 1st bonus track is really silly. and the second one is pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment