Friday, July 13, 2012

No Secrets - Carly Simon

I'm been completely and utterly obsessed with Carly Simon. I've tried to listen to all of her 70's album, and plan on listening to her 80's and 90's and 2000's stuff to. This is her third album and this has one of the sexiest album covers I've ever seen, in my opinion. She is fricken beautiful, not so much today, but this picture is one of my favorite album covers of ever. Nobody Does It Better is my cousin's favorite Bond theme. And after hearing it a couple times and seeing The Spy Who Loved Me, with the beautiful Barbra Bach, who is the wife of Ringo since 1980, I've been obsessed with Carly's discography.
  1. The Right Thing To Do: This song starts out as an easy listening song. I could see this being played in a bar scene in a movie. I could actually see this being a Bond theme. This song is a pretty song that also kind of reminds me of Linda's vocals and the music to Get On The Right Thing off Wings 1973 sophomore effort Red Rose Speedway. This song came out first though.
  2. The Carter Family: This song reminds me of Red Rose Speedway but without Paul's vocals. Kind of like a cover off that album. It's actually bizarre how similar theses albums stylistically sound and resemble each other.
  3. You're So Vain: The song starts out with this bass riff thing. It surprised me when I first heard it, and I thought that it was a different song. Its kind of creepy sounding. But then the song starts up. This song is a really cool sounding. It's a country song, but it has this Bad Ass feeling to it. It's supposedly about one of three people. I don't know exactly if that's true, but I love the idea about it. And during the chorus if you listen you can hear an uncredited Mick Jagger backing vocals. The lyrics in the song reference a solar eclipse. That's insane to me. Most country artist would reference like a beer or a breakup, nothing really special. She referenced a fricken' Solar Eclipse and where it occurred at. The more I hear this song the better it gets.
  4. His Friends Are More Than Fond Of Robin: This song is a pretty song. It is more soft and pretty sounding than You're So Vain. There is this synthesizer sound that sounds really sweet. I don't really know how to explain it more than just it's a pretty sounding song.
  5. We Have No Secrets: This song starts out, and kind of reminds me of, T Swift. The guitar part. This is more of an upbeat song, but it's kind of eerie to me. Especially since it is upbeat and its about sharing secrets in a relationship, and that she didn't want to know all of them. I think that's a neat angle to look at. I don't know anyone else who has a song about sharing secrets, and kind of regretting knowing some of them.
  6. Embrace Me, You Child: I think that this song is a pretty beginning. It kind of reminds me a little of the beginning of Uncle Albert off 1971's Ram by Paul & Linda McCartney. Just the beginning though. I think that the chorus to this song is really cool to. I think that the strings help make this song sound calm. The line "The Devil Doesn't Get To You" in the chorus is sick, I love the way it does that. This song lyrics are pretty to. This song has a type of epic feeling. But the level of epic isn't achieved as much as it could have been
  7. Waited So Long: This is a honky tonk vibe to it. It kind of reminds me a little of Honky Tonk Woman. I think that the way her vocals sound in the chorus is pretty cool. I guess it says that James Taylor did backing vocals for this song. And supposedly James Taylor is one of the three in the You're So Vain song could be about.
  8. It Was So Easy: This is a sweet and cute little ditty. I could see a little kid walking in the park or something like that happening in a movie to this song. Like a possible reflection about her childhood. I think its a cute song, and I like it for that.
  9. Night Owl: Funny enough, you know how I've made some Red Rose Speedway comparisons, well Paul and Linda actually did backing vocals for this track. James Taylor made another appearance to this album. He wrote this song. This is a cool song. I think that James did a good job on this. You can tell Paul and Linda in there. This is a gospel type of song. This song reminds me a little of Roadrunner by Bo Diddley. Just the way the chorus is and the song is. I don't not like the song for that, but I think that it's a good song. Not amazing though.
  10. When You Close Your Eyes: This song is a good way to wrap up the album. I think that this is the best way to end an album like this. I think that this is one of my favorite songs on the album. I don't think that it's an AMAZING ending though. I wish there was a tiny bit more excitement going on here. This is a pretty song though.
Overall I have to give this album a 7/10. I like this thing. This is the 2nd time I've heard this in full. And I think it's better the second time through. This is a solid listen, and a decent album. I don't think that you have to necessarily like country to like some songs on this album. I think it's funny that I've made a few Wings comparisons. Another funny fact is that this album has Klaus Voormann on bass for all but 3 tracks on the album. Klaus helped out John, George, and Ringo, among other artists. He even did the artwork to The Beatles Anthology's and 1966 album Revolver's album cover. I am still going to buy this album on vinyl though. Maybe over time this will grow on me more.

No comments:

Post a Comment