Friday, July 20, 2012

1999 - Prince

Hey, are you ready to party like its was 1999. Cuz I sure know I'm ready to give this album a try. I got this on vinyl from my moms cousins husband. So I decided to give it a listen. This is the fifth studio album by Prince and it was released in October, 1982. This is also the first album to have the name The Revolution on it. I am aware that this is one of the "greatest albums of all time". So when I am listening to this I have to put that little fact into consideration. This is the first Prince album I have listened to in it's entirety. I also listened to this on vinyl for the review, One Side at a time. I didn't listen to the whole thing front to back on the vinyl. I didn't realize this at first but Mike G mentions Purple Rain on the song Forrest Green off the new Odd Future album The OF Tapes Vol. 2. And yes I did listen to this album 3 times on vinyl and one time on digital. But also a bunch of the songs alone multiple more times.
  1. 1999: This is the first song that I liked by Prince. This is a fun song, and a good way to start off an album. This song is very catchy, and it is kind of hard to not like. Though they talk about nuclear warfare in the song, which you would never guess by the way it sounds. But they also talk about partying like it's 1999, because "2000 zero zero, Party over lose, outta time". The six minutes go by fast, the more you listen to it the better it becomes more of a classic song.
  2. Little Red Corvette: I realized that I knew this song at the chorus. This is a pretty "interesting song". Like I wanted to listen to this song. It kind of builds up to the chorus. I don't know if that's the right way to say that, but I do know that I don't if that's the right term. But that song is really cool. I like how it is a singable song. Like the chorus gets stuck in your head 
  3. Delirious: This song sounds a little bit like Little Red Corvette, but not so "build". It's kind of like a dance song. I could see this being in Footloose. This sounds like a songs that my parents would listen to when I was like really little. Probably like when I was 4 or 5, so around 1999-2000
  4. Let's Pretend We're Married: He says the fuck word pretty, like serious sounding, but for sex. This is a bizarre song to be made by, what I though Prince was capable of. I have a new found respect for him after listening to this album a couple times and listening to 1980's Dirty Mind and 1981's Controversy a couple of times to.
  5. D.M.S.R.:  I don't care much for this song really. I don't think that it's that good. It's one of my less favorite tracks. D.M.S.R. stands for (Dance Music Sex Romance). I don't really think that this is that good though. I don't find the sounds that appealing from this song. This song is at 8:44 and I kind of wish that it wasn't so long.
Now this is the 2nd vinyl on the album, or you can say it's sides 3 & 4. I think that it's funny how 11 songs can take up two vinyl records. Well whatever here we go
  1. Automatic: I do like this song, but it is kind of repetitive at parts. But for the most part, this is an ok song. I don't like this song as much as some of the others, but I don't hate this song. The biggest problem though it that it's 9 minutes long. That's a long song for so much repetition.
  2. Something in the Water (Does Not Compute): This song has this robotic sound that is kind of funny. The nice thing about this song is that it's the length of a normal song. I like the screech. I think it's actually kind of sick that he can go so high.
  3. Free: This is, possibly, the best song on this thing. This is a very pretty song, and it is kind of a ballad. This song is actually like one, it's not one where it's pretty and it's like sex sex sex. I really like the piano in the song and I honestly think it's a swell song. I like the singing and I also like the whole vibe from the song. {8/10}
  4. Lady Cab Driver: This is surprisingly one of my favorites on this album. This is 8 minutes long and it's pretty good. This song has a funky thing going for it. This song could be kind of Disco, in a way. By that I mean I could see people dancing to the song. I think that the synths in the song help give it that feeling. And the last like 4 minutes is him talking while there is a girl moaning in the background, while the music is still going. Well not the entire 4 minutes, but that's what I assume is happening in the song, they are having sex, there is a big instrumental break. And the two songs flow.
  5. All the Critics Love U in New York: There are parts on this song where it reminds me of, what I picture in my head, aandrogynymen playing songs. Kind of like the song Fashion is Danger by Flight of the Conchords I want to say this song has a "faggy" feel to it. Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite songs on the album. He also says Masterbate in this song. I had to do a double take in my head when I heard him say that on the vinyl.
  6. International Lover: This song has a country vibe that I got in the beginning of it. I don't think I could say that this is a country song, but in the beginning that's the vibe I got. I really like that this is the ending of the album. This is also a really good song. This is also more of a ballad on the album. This is sweet song and I love it. I could see someone making love to it.
Over all I have to say that this, Prince's 1982 album titled 1999, deserves a 8.5/10. I did this review over an long period of time. I started the review April 6th, and just listened to side one. The one thing about this is that this is a long album, it's 70:33 minutes, Sign o' the Times, which is also another double album by Prince, is 79:58. I feel like I have to say that I love the crap out of Dirty Mind. That is definitely my favorite Prince album. Like that's going on the Hall of Fame vinyls shelf in my house whenever I end up buying it. Part of the reason for that is just because it gives me this Beatles vibe to it. I'll explain it better in a review I'll do for it after I get the vinyl copy. One last thing too, there are points in this album were it kind of drags, and part of that reason is because of repetition. But if you can look past that, the songs are pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment