Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Black Album - Prince

This is the legendary unreleased, until six years after its original intended 1987 release, and widely bootlegged by Prince. It was supposed to follow Sign "O" the Times, which came in March of 1987. There are different reasons that it has been scrapped in 1987. One was that when he experimented with Ecstasy and had a bad trip. Which I guess some one said later that actually did happen. Well for whatever reason he did it, I don't know exactly what to understand about why. All I know is that it was supposed to be studio album number 10 and ended up number 16.  This is also been called The Funk Bible and has some type of theme that goes into it. I also did a review of 1999. The album was finally released in 1994
  1. Le Grind: This song starts out fine. I am getting a good feeling from it. I could see this being from the 80's. This actually reminds me of 1999, sound wise.
  2. Cindy C.: There is some sax in this song. Honestly, this song didn't keep my attention. It kind of seemed like a 1999 outtake. 
  3. Dead On It: This song sounds like an 80's hip hop song. I think it's actually kind of funny, with the way that is sounds and is. I could see like some 80's rapper spitting over this. N.W.A. would be too cool for this, ha.
  4. When 2 R In Love: This is kind of a corny Prince song. It's a love song and it's isn't that bad. It is actually on Lovesexy.
  5. Bob George: I could see this song being rapped over. He does swear in this song. And I think he is supposed to be rapping in this song. This song is actually pretty funny. I is ripping on himself, ripping on Prince. This is just a silly song, and it is pretty good. The music kind of, at parts, reminds me of The Rugrats.
  6. Superfunkycalifragisexy: This song reminds me of a mix of Red Hot Chili Peppers 1999 Californication with the song Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from the Disney Musical Marry Poppins. Or maybe any of the 80's songs by Red Hot Chili Peppers.
  7. 2 Nigs United 4 West Compton: This song starts out with him talking. Then the song goes into a like this funky instrumental. This is a solid instrumental, and it is easy to funk and jam out to. The one thing it though, it's 7 minutes long.
  8. Rockhard In A Funky Place: This is the last song on the album. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought. This song is a good way to end the album. I think that it is pretty funky and I love the name, it's kind of funny.
Overall I have to give this a 7.2/10. The biggest problem with this is that the songs are, at times, too long and repetitive. That was my biggest problem with 1999. The shortest song on this album is 3:59 and the longest is 7:01. The rest of the songs are within that 5-6 minute range. I didn't think that it was amazing, but I still though some songs were funny and some were cool. I'll probably revisit this some time when I just want to listen to something funny and a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment