Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Sister - Marissa Nadler

This is the first time that I've ever heard of this girl. She is based in Boston and released her first album in 2004. I found out about her via ListenBeforeYouBuy. I remember when, right before the album was released earlier this year, seeing the choice to stream the album. I think that I don't exactly know what to expect, especially since the album are is kind of cool. I think that it would be cool to have on vinyl to see the album cover. I'm not saying that I'm gonna buy the vinyl because I haven't heard it yet. I can honestly say I don't really know anything about Marissa except that she has like 6 other albums. Well lets get down to it.
  1. The Wrecking Ball Company: The beginning of this song kind of reminded me of an acoustic version of Because by The Beatles and Wicked Games by The Weeknd. I really like her voice in this song. So far this is pretty decent album. But you can't judge an album off one song. After the rest of the instruments come in it reminds me of The Chapin Sisters on their second album Two. I don't know exactly what song, but one of the songs on that.
  2. Love Again, There Is a Fire: This kind of reminds me of a more Eisley-esque version of Sucré. They way Marissa is singing kind of reminds me of Stacy's voice. It also kind of reminds me of the Eisley Family Christmas EP they released in 2010 for free. And added two new tracks for Christmas 2011. 
  3. Christine: This kind of reminds me of The Chapin Sisters cover of Toxic on their Shady Lake Ep. It also kind of reminds me of the legendary song Elvis tried to buy off Dolly Parton..... Jolene. So far this thing is awesome.
  4. Apostle: Sorry I kind of got lost in the song. It is a very pretty song. I think that it's pretty cool sounding too. It's kind of like how I get lost in the Elliott Smith 1995 self titled album
  5. Constantine: For some reason I feel like I kind of am hearing Dolly Parton singing this song. Either her of Olivia Newton-John. Not necessarily their style of music, but their vocals. This also kind of reminds me of Irish Music. I'm Irish and I can't stand that music, I try hard to even listen to Van Morrison. But I like this song. This also reminds me a little of 2005's Room Noises by Eisley.
  6. To a Road, Love: The way she is singing reminds me a ton of Stacy on the Sucré song, I wanna say The Cliff Waltz. I could be wrong so I'm gonna check. Actually it almost reminds me more of Wake the Earth by The Honey Trees off their 2009 Wake the Earth ep.
  7. In a Little Town: I don't really know what to say about this
  8. Your Heart Is a Twisted Vine: This sounds like basically what I said before.
Overall I have to say this should rightfully get a 8.5/10. This kind of reminds me of a mix of The Chapin Sisters with Eisley with Merriment (just a little) and probably every other Female Singer Songwriter that is in the field of like "Indie Folk". I don't know why it took me so long to listen to this. Box of Ceder is the Record Label. Shit man, they have a Vinyl version of this. I know what I'm doing when I get a credit card/debit card. I do feel like this will probably only grow on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment