Sunday, January 24, 2016

Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper

So, as with all the others this month I am getting rid of some old album and trying to de clutter the  drafts folder. Logically, most of these albums this month wont get super amazing scores (in part to my lack of anything to say, also because why it took so long). I already heard this album, and I liked enough of it to do a review of it. This is the fourth solo album by Panda Bear, member of Animal Collective. I have heard his Mr. Noah Ep before this review, which I might just review, and also I've heard AC's 2012 album Centipede Hz. There were enough stuff on there for me to everntually want to check out the rest of their solo and collective stuff.
  1. Sequential Circuits: This opens the album, and to be honest, it's sort of heavenly. I mean not in the way that I'd want it to be (but that could be intentional). I mean this kind of has a sort of water sound, and sounds like it'd be a good intro. The only problem is it's like 3 in a half minutes long. I mean it does go by fast, but still. It isn't terrible, I just wish it was shorter maybe. But again that's a personal thing, I do think it works as is though.
  2. Mr. Noah: This is a track that was released on an Ep back in November. I didn't review it because j though it was just okay. I may review the Ep but I also may not. I do think this is a good follow up, it sounds like he sampled dogs whimpering and the Pod Racers flying by. I do think that's pretty cool. I think this is kind of a bit of a mess when the song starts, but I do at least enjoy this mess. I mean I like it, but I don't think it's amazing.
  3. Davy Jone's Locker: This song kind of went by I didn't even notice it the first time.
  4. Crosswords: This song has a nice feeling to it. Again nothing spectacular, just kind of pleasant. 
  5. Butcher Baker Candlestick Maker: Okay, at this point I've kind of lost my intrest in this overall sound
  6. Boys Latin: For whatever reason, I feel this song is gay. Like really, as in homosexual. Maybe it's because of the Filmworks with the gay Latinos males, but I don't know. Also I mean, the words he's speaking could be another language, but I don't really think it's as cool as it should be. I don't know, like it said the charm of the albums gone at this point.
  7. Come To Your Senses: This beat sort of reminds me of the "Oh Danny Boy, Danny Boy" section of I Get Knocked Down. Or whatever the name of the song is :) I mean not exactly, but sort of a variation maybe. Not terrible, but again sort of goes in one ear and out the other.
  8. Tropic of Cancer: This is by far the best song here. It's so simple, but it's so heavenly it the way it sounds. If I'm not mistaken, this uses a I-vi-IV-V progression. I might be wrong, it might be a variation, but is sure sounds very doowop progression to me. It sounds like it's being arpeggiated on a harp and it's so gorgeous. The vocals just add to an atmosphere that makes me feel as though I'm waking though the pearly gates. This track alone is worth checking out the album for. Oh, I guess the harp is a sample of a the Nutcracker Suite Pas de Deux.
  9. Shadow of Colossus: I don't really know what to say.
  10. Lonely Wanderer: The beginning of this song starts out with this kind of heavenly feeling After that it goes into a sole piano. The was the piano sounds it reminds me very much so of Eisley's album Currents, the track in mind I have is Drink The Water.
  11. Principe Real: Again, not half bad its just I ran out of things to say.
  12. Selfish Gene: This  is a pretty fun track. I mean it's nothing but fun none the less.
  13. Acid Wash: This is a great closer and just kind of feels like it completes this. I like the swirl, I just wish that would have ended the song, like the first one.
Overall I have to give this album a 5/10. While this album starts just ok for me it eventually picks up steam and has some great tracks I really like. Do I think it's steam continues for the rest of the album? No. Do I feel that this album is worth buying a CD of? Possibly. One thing I know for sure is i still need to check Merriweather Post Pavillion.  But really I mean, this isn't half bad. It's just not mind blowing or amazing really to me. To be honest, I'd play this as background music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment